What’s up with the bands?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4HWD, Jun 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems the upper bands have experienced remarkable conditions over the past few weeks with solid signals, and many of them, across 10M, particularly in the vicinity of 28.4 and 29.6 I've made numerous contacts both mobile and at home with merely 25W.

The infamous and bewildering 28.425 "voice beacon" has also been in attendance.

2. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

After I returned to the hobby in early 2018, I noticed a strange phenomenon as regards 10m and 15m. These "dead" bands have, over the years, developed cognitive and volitional abilities relative to days gone by. They decide to open a few minutes before a contest commences. Then, a few minutes after the contest closes, the bands decide to close such that communication is not possible.

I use the digital watering-hole frequencies, approx. 28.074 MHz and 21.074 MHz, and the W1AW code transmissions, as beacons. If I can hear something at those frequencies, I know there is some propagation to somewhere. I'll also check RBN (Reverse Beacon Network) for activity.

Another thing I've noticed since my return is that hams have acronym and abbreviation crazy. I've had to search for the meanings quite a bit to be able to make sense of some posts that are replete with acronyms and abbreviations.

3. AB7RU

AB7RU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KL7AJ,
    Is this a documented fact? I am curious that there would be specific regions that are rf-resistant for some reason. Is it because of your latitude?

4. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I will admit that maybe I complained too soon. Just had a fine QSO on 20 with VK4SX...Dennis sounded like a local and gave me, my 100w and my wire a glowing report! It’ll be ok...;)

W1TRY likes this.
  5. KC6KNL

KC6KNL Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.google.com/search?&q=28.425++kc4tvz+todd

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Bugs bunny... "What's up doc?"

[​IMG]

7. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This week past was abysmal with a lot of noise and virtually nothing on 80/40/30/20.

Yet just this afternoon made CW qso's with ZL/EA8/and a couple of U.S ops. Mostly weak but there with a bit of work.

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That makes it look like they adjust the chart to validate what they are saying about 2022.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Not quite sure what you mean. A few examples (of acronyms, abbreviations) might be helpful, or send you in the correct direction.

10. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That’s right. The problem with activity on 20 and below is not propagation. The problem is there are no stations on the air. HF is slowly going the way of VHF. Sorry for the news but welcome back.