WESTERN UNION AND SCAMMERS!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W6GQ, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KL7XY

KL7XY Ham Member QRZ Page

What are the odds that one seller would have both rare parts I am looking for ?

I need a YC-221 Display and an FTS-17 Tone board - - - what luck, one foreign seller has both ? ? ?

Here is what I sent him !

Great !

Could you send me a picture of the YC-221 and the FTS-17 side by side in the same picture ?

Thank You

BB

2. AD6KA

AD6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Good going, love to play with these monkeys.
    Likely Reply:

"Thanks you for the note.
    Unfortunately am not presently at the location of the items
    becoz the items are at another location than my location at the moment." :p
    OR: "I do not have a working digital camera at the moment"
    "But the items they are in very good conditions"
    (Insert Internet-found ad copy product description here
    and INDIVIDUAL ad copied photos)

"You will be very happy with the items and this transaction is %100 Risk Free" :D

Keep 'em occupied!
    The more time they waste with you, the less
    time they have to spend chasing down REAL victims.
    73, Ken AD6KA

3. KL7XY

KL7XY Ham Member QRZ Page

4. AD6KA

AD6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the post. Good Catch!
    Some of these guys are getting slicker, that's for sure.

Has he mentioned payment method yet and
    how he will ship it yet, BB?

73, ken AD6KA

5. G8WRB

G8WRB Ham Member QRZ Page

That's very safe for a seller, but offers no protection for a buyer. As such, many hams, (myself included) would not want to do this when buying something from a random stranger.

In the past, before Paypal, I even sent cash for small items. It was far cheaper to go to a travel agent, get some $US and stuff the notes in an envelope. Paying bank transfer fees would have been higher than the amount transfered, so sending cash was a risk worth taking.

Paypal is not perfect, but at least it offers both buyers and sellers some protection.

Realistically, if you want to sell something, you need to convince the buyer it is genuine. Expecting them to pay into your account like this will not install much confidence. As such, you are likely to reduce the number of potential buyers and so lower the amount you get for an item, if you manage to sell it at all.

Dave

6. G8WRB

G8WRB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Julian,

Have you ever shipped anything overseas from the UK? If so when? What is the "tons of paperwork"?

I sold a small oil painting the other day to a lady in Australia. I took it to the post office, had it weighed and had to fill in a very small form. I had to put

* What the item was (oil painting)
    * Value (£13.22)
    * My name
    * Sign it
    * Date it.

Perhaps it took me 30 seconds, but I doubt it was as long as that.

I've shipped other items abroad before and there is never tons of paperwork. It is a very simple process.

In the last few weeks I have bought from the US

Kenwood TS-940S
    Kenwood SP-230 speaker
    Kenwood SM-230 station monitor
    Crystal filter for Yaesu FT-ONE.
    Some 22 pF RF caps.

I've also bought some crystal filters for a Kenwood TS-940S, though they have not arrived yet. In fact, they are probably not dispatched yet, as I only paid for them yesterday.

A couple of weeks before that I bought a Yaesu FT-ONE from someone in the UK. Of all the items, this was the poorest wrapped. I'm amazed it did not get damaged in transit, but luckily it did not. Buying the FT-ONE was a bit of a hassle, as the UK seller was not exactly responsive. But it all worked out OK in the end.

Whilst I respect your desire not to ship abroad, to claim there is "tons of paperwork" is just plain inaccurate.

The biggest hassle is buying items from another country. If the total value (including carriage) is over £18, and you are unlucky, the following happens.

* Item gets shipped via the foreign postal system (say USPS if coming from the US)
    * Item gets VAT and/or duty added when entering the UK
    * Parcelforce pay the VAT and/or duty.
    * Parcelforce send you a letter saying they have the item and you need to pay the VAT and/or duty before they will deliver it. They add on an £8 admin fee.
    * You pay Parcelforce for VAT, duty and admin fee - you do it on the web. You select your delivery day, and it gets delivered.

If you are lucky, customs don't charge, but this seems to be quite rare now. At one time I used to only pay on about 50% of the items I bought, but that's increased to nearly 100% now.

I'm not denying I've had the few hassles buying from abroad, but no more so than buying from the UK.

I would agree with your comments about payment though. But if it was really high-value item, I'm not so sure I'd trust Paypal as there can be chargebacks.

Many Americans won't deal outside the USA, but it is their loss. I know a ham lost at least $100 on eBay when selling a TS-940S as he would not accept my bid from the UK, but I was willing to pay about $100 more than it sold for.

Dave, G8WRB.

7. G1HRD

G1HRD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have posted a seperate thread but a reply to this one will do no harm.

barrysmithsales@gmail.com

Corso Marche,
    TORINO
    (Italy).

majeff002@gmail.com

Rahamon Malik
    45, Jalan Metro Perdana 7
    Kuala lumpur
    Kuala lumpur
    Zip Code :52100
    Malaysia

Watch out for these two/three guys:
    THEY WILL GLADLY TAKE YOUR MONEY OFF YOU BY FRAUDULENT MEANS

8. VK4KGW

VK4KGW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's very simple to be sure the transaction is safe , although I dislike paypal I use it all over of my CC with no problem and wait for the official confirm on the deposit although generally I email the confirm there is never any hurry or excess money paid , I have done DD for a few but that's rare . I can't see sticking to your home country being any higher certainty as there are plenty of local fakes sadly.

9. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

That is why I will sell on Ebay if there is an issue these PPL will handle it, Pay Pal is the safest way, also get a disposable email address like yahoo, live, hotmail, etc I also reccomend a disposable Gmail phone number I have one in another county, noone really knows ABT it I use it for some oddball reason, I used once a number for Chicago as a fowarding email address and phone number, worked great smoked some PPL that I disposed of.

works 4 me.

10. W6HVH

W6HVH Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's one from this afternoon. I listed a DVAP as a want on the board. I received this response around 3:00pm :

leonard chiddister wrote: I have DV Access Point forsale in good working condition . ( Works perfectly ) Mine is an attractive unit that's not all scratched up.. I am willing to arrange a pick up of the item.In fact, this is preferable to avoid any damage in shipping get back to me if you are still interested in buying
    Thanks
    Leo

No call sign listed AND if he had access to QRZ he would have known I'm very far away from his alleged home in Tomball, TX.
    Besides, who would discuss a DVAP that way.

I toyed with him for awhile until he suggested I pay via Western Union. Incidentally, FWIW, his email was from ojooo.com

Harold
    W6HVH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.