ad: elecraft

WESTERN UNION AND SCAMMERS!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W6GQ, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4FCR

N4FCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I did a search on the email he sent me turns out it originated in Nigeria.. Looks like the real Dave is a victim here as well.

2. W4YJ

W4YJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Got burned last month with this very same scam. NEVER AGAIN!

3. ZP5DBC

ZP5DBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi... paypal is not availiable here in my country, so it´s only via WU so far is ok,i only buy stuff...scammers are not only from overseas....

4. N4FCR

Yea I understand that Daniel, looks like a lot of them are from Nigeria though. It's unfortunate that such scams impact all of us. I personally won't let this stop me from buying or selling to folks overseas, but I promise that I'll be very very cautious and make sure I verify verify everything before I complete a transaction. So far it would seem that scammers can easily be spotted by their IP address, but I'm sure they have tricky ways around that as well.

Charlie

5. G7ICD

G7ICD Ham Member QRZ Page

Scammers

I was nealy taken by a scammer his call and address is in the database
    he was selling a radio for £500 + £40 p/p which 1st made me think as its normaly between £12-25 he then drop the price to £400 +p/p
    then £350 he nearly had me so i sent a pm on here to the callsign when he replyed saying he knew nothing about it that comfirmed it for me it was a scam thank god for the PM system on here when i asked for his uk landline he would'nt give me it and he wanted payment via weston union that also rang a bell as i had seen it posted elsewhere I have told weston union about it but has not replyed

also the way the callsign address in the qrz look up had just been copied and pasted it was the same layout ie with the same position and lines if it was a normal person writing it is would have been on the same line

so beware

i was nealy riped of for £390

Cheers jim

6. WN8QII

WN8QII Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for this information. I am looking for an item and received emails from several of the identified individuals. A look at the IP info showed they both originated from Nigeria (where else). Feel sorry for the owners of the real calls.

7. N4FCR

I've had a couple fellow hams ask me how to look up someone's originating IP from an email. Below are some basic instructions, if you want to ensure the correspondence you are getting from someone is actually originating near thier QTH.

8. G7ICD

G7ICD Ham Member QRZ Page

I would from now on ask for the landline number to see if it is the real deal

9. N5ARK

N5ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

Common Sense

Common sense is your best protection! Period! Remember your parents saying
    If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. There are good overseas
    Buyers but as many said if they are not a ham (same address they want it shipped to), have knowledge of ham radio and your item and dont have bad comments or qrz and google. Google is your best friend!!!!!! Be smart, safe and wise.

10. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just tried it....

An e-mail from Muskegon, MI shows an IP in Marina Del Rey, CA and one in Laurel NJ. Nothing close to the actual origin. The addy was an @yahoo address. So, anyone using a Yahoo e-mail account will show ISPs that have nothing to do with the actual origin of the message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.