WESTERN UNION AND SCAMMERS!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W6GQ, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. XU7ADQ

XU7ADQ Ham Member QRZ Page

We're not ALL scammers!

Imagine my problem.
    Living in XU7'land has its problems when trying to buy online.
    Seems that Paypal will let me use my account to SEND money in payment for items, but will not allow me to RECEIVE payments, go figure?

I have a verified account, linked to my bank account and credit card, but only found out after 'selling' my VX-7r on Ebay, that Paypal won't let the buyer pay me!
    I had a hell of a job to get Ebay to refund my seller fees, and the guy who 'bought' the rig was no too impressed, and was going to give me negative feedback (100% at the moment).

I had no other choice than to ask him if he could pay the $150 by WU, and obviously he was very wary.

The option I gave him, was to call me on Skype, so we could see each other on video, and I could show him the actual radio I was selling.
    This is another method of checking that you are dealing with a reliable person;)

So please don't think that ALL overseas buyers are scammers because we sometimes have no other choice than WU, when Paypal can't perform the task.

If you have a Skype account, it is very simple to contact the seller/buyer, and see/hear them and get a chance to see the actual goods.
    It also serves as a trust checker, as not many scammers would be willing to have their face on video, and most certainly wouldn't be able to show you the 'items I have in stock':rolleyes:

They are also a lazy breed of scum, but will sometime go to the trouble of finding a picture of the item you want, on the net.
    I found the same picture of the IC-92AD I was offered, together with identical accessories and background, on google images.
    The photo belonged to a ham, and the radio had been sold a year earlier!
    Clicking the properties on any photos you get, can also yield many clues (date taken etc).
    Most pictures from the net, will not contain the original exif data that a real digi photo has.

Taken common sense precautions, and taking a little time to check, will save you a lot of headaches and cash.

My 2c...

2. KD0HUX

KD0HUX Ham Member QRZ Page

IF IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT IS MOST TIMES. I HAD A BUYER TRYING TRYING TO SCAM ME FOR A VALIANT I HAVE FOR SELL ON THIS FORM $390.THIS ASSWIPE SENTS A $3500 CHECK.THIS {HAM} TELLS ME IT IS AN EMERGENCY THAT HE HAS TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY AND HE NEEDS TO TAKE THE TRANSMITTER WITH HIM. PLEASE SHIP THE TRANSMITTER THAT DAY AND SEND HIM THE BALANCE BACK WESTERN UNION. THE CHECK WAS DRAWN ON A CLOSED ACCOUNT. I DID NOT FALL FOR THIS{HAM} BULL SH#! T I ONLY DEAL WITH A BANKS CHASHIERS CHECK {WHEN IT CLEARS} AND POSTAL MONEY ORDERS.THE POST OFFICE HAS IT OWN POSTAL POLICE. IT IS A FELONY TO US THE US MAIL FOR FRAUD. YOU DO NOT WANT THE POSTAL POLICE AND FBI AFTER YOU.

3. AA9DI

AA9DI Ham Member QRZ Page

I have received the same request but after asking for his call sign and he neglected to send it to me I told him this was a scam. See below.

>> Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 03:28:21 -0800
    > >> Subject: interested in your items
    > >> From: thomasbruce98@gmail.com
    > >>
    > >> HELLO
    > >>
    > >> I AM INTERESTED IN YOUR (radio equipment on QRZ.COM) AND I WILL LIKE TO
    > >> KNOW
    > >> YOUR LAST OFFERING PRICE AND PRENSENT CONDITION

2/08/2011
    Hi Tom,

BY-1 $65
    CDE 45 $260

Is this what you are inquiring about? What is your call sign?

Chris AA9DI

2/09/2011
    hello Thanks for the reply,am okay with the price $360 and condition.Like Imentioned earlier,I have a shipping agent whom has been working withme for over 5 years now that will come to your location to inspect andpick up the {items} and delivered it to me at my location, more so ihave decided to offer you extra $50 to consider it sold to me andremove the advert from the site posted, As am assuring you that i willbe the new onwer . As for the payment I'll instruct my Client in theUS,to issue out a Certified Cashier's Check Or Money Order tagged$3000, drawn from a US bank in your name.Having it in mind thatbusiness is based on trust. When you receive the check, cash it,deduct the amount due for the purchase, and send the remaining fundsto my shipping Agent via Western Union Money Transfer,whom will thencome over to your location for the pick up and take care of allshipping issues. If youare alright with this arrangement, provide me the following info: 1)Name as to be written on check2)Full address to where the check will be mailed out to3)phone # so as to contact youGet back to me asap so we can seal this transaction.Regards,thomas

2/09/2001
    I feel this is a scam and since you didn't offer your call sign I will not be providing any information and selling the items to you.

4. N7AXL

N7AXL Ham Member QRZ Page

I GOT THE SAME MESSAGE AGAIN, LOOKS LIKE THE CROOK JUST COPIES AND PASTES THE MESSAGES TO DIFFERENT HAMS. QRZ.COM - PLEASE KEEP THOSE WARNINGS POSTED. HIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS ALWAYS THE SAME: THOMASBRUCE98@GMAIL.COM. DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW AND WHERE TO ADDRESS THIS SCAM !?
    THANKS
    AXEL, N7AXL +++

5. W1RDS

W1RDS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had this happen also. When they say they have an agent, are happy with the condition and will pay with Western Union, it's a SCAM. I did take one using WU but he had a real call sign and I didn't send it until I got the cash from WU. He was in Central America if I remember correctly and that was the only way he could pay.

Bob KD0EEZ

6. K7FE

K7FE QRZ Lifetime Member #1 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I must make a correction to Bob's post. If someone SENDS you a Western Union Money Order, that is OK...if you take it to your local Western Union and ask them for the cash rather than deposit it into your bank account. If someone ASKS you to send a Western Union Money Order, then it May (usually) be a SCAM. The reason that they want a WU from you is because WU does not ask for ID and just cashes it for them. You have no recourse if the product is not shipped after you send a WU money order.

Terry

7. W4UHB

W4UHB QRZ Member QRZ Page

Unless the seller is from Oklahoma!!! I sent them a check issued by my bank and since they had never seen this kind of check or did they take it to their bank, they kicked it back. Said I wasn't a real buyer..

8. N4URW

N4URW Ham Member QRZ Page

PLEASE WATCH OUT FOR PAUL ALEXANDER. HE POSTED A AD ON QTH.COM FOR A ROTOR. HE WAS SENT THE MONEY VIA WESTERN UNION AND HE NEVER SENT THE ITEM. HE IS IN DENTON TX.

9. WA4HMR

WA4HMR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just thought I'd share this e-mail exchange...
    Can't believe this clown would think anyone would fall for it.
    From England?
    "He don't write no good English, fer sure".
    I've included "Dave's" e-mail address, just in case anyone else wants to have a little fun with him.

fromDave Foxall <davfox@blumail.org>
    toRaeford Brown <raefordbrown@****>

dateFri, Feb 11, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    subjectRe: FS ICOM AH-4 Auto Antenna Tuner
    mailed-byblumail.org

hide details 5:04 PM (19 minutes ago)

You have nothing to worry about shipping as it could be done via our
    old and reliable Royal Mail,FedEx or UPS whichever you prefer.I am
    sorry i don't pay pal because my account was charged back the last
    time i dealt with it..My preferred mode of payment remains Western
    Union,so your complete shipping
    address would be needed if you wishes to proceed and i will email to
    you my details to proceed with payment.

Thanks,

Dave.

- Show quoted text -

On 2/11/11, Raeford Brown <raefordbrown@****> wrote:
    > Thanx, Dave. The price is good.
    > I am a little concerned about international shipping. I do have paypal, and
    > that has proven to be a safe method of payment.
    > The AH-4 will work well with my 706...I want to put it on my boat.
    >
    > On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Dave Foxall <davfox@blumail.org> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> This is the ICOM AH-4 Auto Antenna Tuner with a 23 foot (minimum
    >> recommended length) long wire antenna kit included.The AH-4 is in
    >> excellent condition and comes with the stainless steel mounting
    >> brackets, instructions, and adapter sheet with instructions for using
    >> the AH-4 with any HF transceiver including Kenwood, Yaesu, TenTec,
    >> etc., as well as marine and commercial radios.
    >>
    >> The frequency range of the Auto-Tuner is continuous from 3.5 MHz to 54
    >> MHz. (80 meters through 6 meters).The 23 foot long wire antenna kit
    >> has a little over 23 feet of #12 BLACK stranded wire, a crimp
    >> connector of the tuner and a real porcelain insulator for the far end
    >> of the long wire. THIS IS THE
    >> PERFECT SETUP FOR ANTENNA RESTRICTED AREAS..
    >>
    >> Price is $200.00 shipped to you..Whats your complete shipping
    >> address??It would be needed to work out shipment...My preferred mode
    >> of payment is via Western Union..
    >>
    >> Thanks and wait to read back from you..
    >>
    >> M0JDE
    >>
    >>
    >> Dave Foxall
    >> 1 DOE HEY GROVE
    >> FARNWORTH BOLTON, BL4 7HS
    >> England
    >>
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    >
    > http://raefordbrown.blogspot.com/
    > **
    > *Raeford Brown*
    > * WA4HMR*
    >>

10. N4FCR

N4FCR Ham Member QRZ Page

This guy sent me basically the same email... I found it fishy cause he imply'd I was in Ontario... and what he was trying to sell me didn't really add up to what I was asking for... plus his bluemail.org email didn't match the one in M0JDE's profile on Qrz.... So i'm not sure if it's the same guy or what. Pretty sad that my first post in the classifieds forum here results in me getting an email from a scammer heh.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.