ad: cq2k-1

West Point Scout Camporee Station W2P coming soon

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB2FMH, Apr 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB2FMH

KB2FMH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had to read it twice before smiling. May we call you Mr. Wordsmith!!

W1TRY likes this.
  2. W1TRY

W1TRY Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely and hopefully when you hear me from W2P!

3. KI7OIY

KI7OIY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool, I will be looking for you guys!

4. W2MYA

W2MYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Guys Happy I Saw Your Card/Notice On Front Page Of QRZ.

Will Be On Looking To Give You A Contact From New JerseyGood Luck

Very 73, Greg W2MYA
    West Caldwell,N.J.

5. KD2OUQ

KD2OUQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish I was still there, I’d be doing CW!

6. W5HEH

W5HEH Ham Member QRZ Page

HAVE FUN ALL ! CYAS ON THE BANDS , CHECK OUT WWW.YLSYSTEM.ORG TO CHECK IN SKED AT TOP OF PAGE 73s , AJ W5HEH

7. KB2FMH

Thanks Greg, We'll be waiting for you!

8. KB2FMH

Maybe you can visit next year Blake. We'll set up a CW position for you, I'm sure many would like it. I've long forgotten code - only did it to get phone privileges in '85 and haven't touched a key since.

KD2OUQ likes this.
  9. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'll be listening for you here in Plattekill (10 miles North of Newburgh).

10. KN4NSZ

KN4NSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like fun. wish I could make a contact. And by the way I am a first class scout.

Stephen
    :) 73

11. WD8NPL

WD8NPL Ham Member QRZ Page

It would also be nice to hear W2KGY the Academy station on the air. Visited there in 2005 when our son was at USMA but never hear them on.

12. KD2OUQ

KD2OUQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was in the club they said I was one of the only cadets to use the station in years, I gave QSL cards but I want one of my own from W2KGY hi hi

13. KE8AQW

KE8AQW Ham Member QRZ Page

According to dxsummit.fi they were spotted on 14.257 a few minute ago.

14. KB1PQB

KB1PQB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Any updates on frequency? Cant seem to find them on the bands so far.

15. KB2FMH

Important announcement!

We apologize to those who wanted to make a contact on Saturday.

After a successful setup in the rain Friday night and a few dozen short contacts on 20 meters, we were exhausted and decided to sleep so we could rise early and get back on the air. Well, within a half hour of shutting down for the night a severe thunderstorm rolled into the valley where the event was positioned. the howling winds and torrential rains prevent us from sleeping.

Then, at about 3 AM our tent began to shift (a 30 foot army barracks tent with three 12 foot "T" supports inside) and the supports began to lean as the gale force winds coming up the mountain were lifting the front of the tant away from the ground, pulling the large metal stakes out of the ground. By 4 Am the tent had moved 5 feet and a river of water was running through it and within moments the interior supports began falling, almost crushing WF2N in his bunk.

We decided it was best to get out and head to the cars for safety. We drove back to the tent area and found our tent had completely collapsed around the supplies stored inside for the morning trading post, allowing everything inside to get soaked beyond reclamation. Everything left inside was knocked to the muddy ground rendering it useless.

While we suffered this minor loss a similar tent adjacent to us was completely lifted from the ground and fell on campers in small personal tents behind it. That tent was the display tent for a Scouting Museum and all of their memorabilia and sale products were destroyed.

Academy Cadets finally came about 7 AM to help right the tents and clean up before the opening ceremony at 9.

We regret that we could not salvage the day and get back on the air. We were exhausted from the ordeal of almost getting hurt or worse and being inundated with mud.

For those who did make the contact Friday night, Thank You and for the operators who looked forward to a Saturdat contact, we say that next year we will be better prepared in setting the station in a more secure area. If anyone wants a card for posterity, please simply send us one of yours saying hello and we will return one with a great Thank You for your support and understanding.

And please, look forward to W2P - 2020 - we promise it to be a complete activation no matter what.

The W2P Team...

WF2N likes this.