Weller WES-51 Soldering Station Heating?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W2GIW, Jul 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W2GIW

W2GIW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,
    Been using this soldering station since about 2002 and it’s been working well, till recently.
    Not heating up like it used to and I’m wondering if it’s a problem with:
    1. The base unit itself? Have crank it up to near 800 degrees to do any good. Even then, it doesn't seem to get up to temperature all the time.
    2. The PES50 pencil iron?
    3. The tips, which are very old. Same age as the station! I keep them incredibly clean and they still look good.
    Do the tips eventually loose their ability to transfer heat due to age?
    Thanks for any info/tips!!
    Ken, W2GIW

2. NQ8J

NQ8J Ham Member QRZ Page

The heating element in the soldering iron has likely failed. Never had to replace a station, but have had to replace several heating elements or irons over the years.

3. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Time to replace the heating element.

5. W2GIW

Thanks for the information everyone!
    After a bunch of K2’s, this that and the other things over the years the pencil may finally be getting tired!
    Ken

6. W2GIW

Ross....I screwed up the title.....this is a WES50 and I don't believe the 51 can replace the 50’s pencil? Ken

7. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a magnetic-based overheat system in use that makes the WES-50 a real pain-in-the-derriere ( 'tukus' ) to use with modern solder, even if the system is in pristine shape. I nearly lost a job over that same issue! Be aware that Weller/Cooper was purchased by Apex ( all of these names have TM/R/ etc. legal protetction ). Then consider a new system, because cleaning what you have or adding wire under the tips is only a stop-gap fix. The tips and iron work together to limit the heat, which is perfect for most older soldering jobs- yet a nightmare if you need to work with certain RoHS soldering compounds- especially the higher-temp AIM(TM/R) stuff with malic acid core. Be sure that you have good ventillation around that stuff- it could give you symptoms of the latest health problem.

8. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

See post 7- I would agree, if the problem were a broken wire in the pen portion or a broken connector. A co-worker quit after he claimed that the connector or wire was the problem, which turned out to be the type of solder we were expected to use. Desoldering RoHS solder is possible, yet tedious work because the magnetic-temperature control system stays hot for such a short period of time as to make it 'hit-and-miss'. Of course, if the system is to be re-sold- the price seems right. I know that you meant no harm, yet the WES-50 'seems to fail' upon working with high-temp alloys. That is not a reason to replace the pencil assembly- it is working as designed ( for lower-temp work ).

W2GIW likes this.
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They do need to be removed and cleaned every now and then.

Normally if the heating element is bad you get nothing.

Turning the temp down when not being used helps for longevity.

KB0MNM likes this.
  10. W2GIW

Duno about the solder types or all that Jon. Just hobby stuff here. Rosin core.
    Worked great since 2002 after numerous K2’s and a host of other stuff.
    Not bad for all those years.
    May be time forma new system. Cant find the pencil assembly anymore...Ken