Well the CEO has done it again

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7WR, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KF5JOT

KF5JOT Ham Member QRZ Page

We often refer to them as "Our on crack management":confused:

W4NNF likes this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Y'know, it's funny......

If the ARRL CEO were to write something that didn't use all those buzzwords, there would be complaints of the organization being "old-fashioned" and "out-of-touch".

And since the ARRL CEO wrote something that did use all those buzzwords, there's all sorts of criticism.

N3AWS, KS2G, W4NNF and 2 others like this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of us can spot empty rhetoric when we see it.

NK2U, WN1MB, KE5OFJ and 5 others like this.
  4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not read the editorial, so my comments are based strictly on what is posted here about said editorial. But it seems to me that "buzzwords" might be appropriate (or at least acceptable) in a corporate environment, at a board meeting, staff meeting, or maybe in comments to like minded corporate people (like an article in Forbes or somewhere). But the use of this type of specialized terminology has no place in comments being dispersed to the masses. I had no idea what "silo" meant, as well as most of the other buzzwords that were referenced in the OP. Why would the CEO assume most hams even know what he's talking about? If a person has to look it up, he's missing the mark. QST readers are not corporate gurus, or even corporate lackeys, they are just people who want to know what's going on.

W9FL, WG7X, K4BAD and 2 others like this.
  5. WA1UIL

WA1UIL Ham Member QRZ Page

(27 yrs in the Posthole Service as Area Maint Spec.) Its ALL managerial verbal diarrhea.
    99% of managers were craft people who were too lazy to actually work and found that wearing a tie was alot less expended energy.
    Their favorite was "Touch Base"(talk to someone) and "Here's what were gonna do" which when boiled down meant "Here's what I said I did and your gonna do it"
    No matter the business, the crap is the same and all smoke and mirrors.

WN6U, W9FL, WN1MB and 4 others like this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I’m willing to see how this all goes, but I’m a bit concerned, having seen many of these things come and go over decades of work experience, and rarely improve anything.

The “lite agile process” seems like just a layer of pseudo-responsibility and extra work buttered onto the staff. (Besides the fact that Agile isn’t for management, it’s for teams to use for quick product development, software mostly, and works for that.)

Is there some reason why the normal management chain and staff relationships aren’t working? Is there some reason why department A doesn’t work with department B? Are improvements needed in the business?

If so, then management needs to figure it out, with staff input, and take appropriate action. Not to appoint some group of various “leaders” to “develop the right strategies, and tactics to deliver desired business outcomes...” . If that is what the new “leaders” are responsible for, then what exactly is management responsible for?

WN1MB likes this.
  7. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not have a degree in management, mine is in Engineering... however, working in a corporate environment for many years, I am familiar with all that he said in that editorial and it makes perfect sense.

My thought would be to modernize your education and bring it up to current standards. Honestly, your comments sound like you are just anti-ARRL. I'm kind of tired of people giving this guy a hard time- he walked into a job where people say they literally hate the ARRL and it is so broken they wouldn't be a dues-paying member- and those people are critical of him trying to fix it and anything he does, says, or writes. Why they are critical to an agency they are not a member of is beyond me (I assume you are a member since you read probably the digital edition of QST). And for those that are members, I know for a FACT that any of the ARRL leadership would welcome your comments in an email- I encourage you to copy and paste your comments and send them directly to Howard. I'd love to hear his response.

Being critical also implies that you have a better way- a solution to all the problems. Please step up and get involved. I also know for a fact that you do NOT need to run for any type of ARRL office or position to get involved in the organization. Contact your Section Manager, Director, or Vice-Director with your ideas and tell them you would love to head up a committee to do X - whatever X is to you. I'm sure they can point you to the cognizant committee, organization lead, etc. that is tasked with handling that within the ARRL and I guarantee you they would welcome your input and involvement.

If you don't like the status quo, then become part of the change to the status quo. The current leadership team would WELCOME the help. And even if they didn't, you won't know until you try.

8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Meaning no disrespect to the hard working CEO, I am reminded of this little game - https://www.bullshitbingo.net/cards/bullshit/

We would play this while listening in on conference calls with management. When you get BINGO, you yell "bullshit!", I guess 'silos' needs to be added now.

I always thought Dilbert had to work for IBM, his topics would often be in perfect sync with what was going on. I remember that we instituted a new daily report that was created to give middle management something to do. Dilbert had a hilarious cartoon that week about useless reports. Henceforth, the new report was referred to as "the Dilbert Report". It turned out that he actually worked for AT+T, which at the time was probably much more guilty of management double speak than anyone else.

WD4IGX and N0TZU like this.
  9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

W9FL, KE5OFJ and WD4IGX like this.
  10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe non-members would stop concerning themselves with ARRL if the League would stop claiming to represent them, their interests, and their wishes to the FCC?

"ARRL is the national association for Amateur Radio in the US..."

Not only is that not true(*), but the ARRL represents only a small fraction of licensed US amateurs. Yet they claim to be the only game in town, and they petition the FCC for rule changes and actions that affect the entire service, members and non-members alike.

That makes the League of keen interest to every licensed amateur in the US, and every action they take or propose open to criticism and rebuttal by every licensed amateur in the US.

(*) ... as there are plenty of other organizations who represent US amateurs before the Commission, not to mention the individual licensees themselves...

NK2U, KD0CAC, N1OOQ and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.