Well the CEO has done it again

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7WR, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In other words, instead of collaboratively synthesizing clicks-and-mortar leadership skills, he should synergistically empower multimedia based vortals.

KE5OFJ and KB9OFM like this.
  2. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone can appear to be a CEO: https://www.joe-ks.com/archives_feb2001/ManualMSG.htm

This isn't the first time ARRL Officialdom has gone the corporate-nonsense route, complete with "retreats." It was done in the mid-1990s, complete with a short, initial mission-statement-bearing article in QST that was published with yellow-background ink to make the pages look like they were printed on yellow paper. A follow-up article -- to convey the actual Long-Range Plan, don't you know -- was promised, and I told a co-worker, "We will never see that article." And we never did.

But consider. The inclusion of those in-house terms of art -- Agile-ish, although we do Agile at work [scaled Agile, that is] and we don't get as crazy with all that hand-shakeful centers-of-excellence goodness -- was stupid because they will only seem stupid to the org's long-time members and therefore only make the org look stupid and Dilbert-informed to its core membership. But it's an excellent idea that ARRL Offficialdom is actually thinking about membership service such that a systematized effort is being mounted to codify the value that League membership provides and then train staff and members and prospective members alike in what that value is and how it can be enjoyed.

For most of the League's history -- perhaps all, depending on what's now in place at HQ -- a ham could just call up or write League HQ and start asking for stuff. There were no membership service reps by Division or Section or member, and no caller was ever asked to provide even a hint of proof of membership v non-membership; and ARRL HQ staff were always infinitely interruptible and ever in the wrong if a member complained about their interaction with staff. (When the League got a new [which is to say, "modern"] phone system in the early 1990s, its voicemail features were disabled by order of the ARRL president. Staff would "hide behind" that feature, don't you know.)

What should have been happening, and maybe it will start happening soon, was that when you called up, or interacted by mail (and, later, email), you were handed to a member rep who knew you and your history and the doings of your Division and Section and helped keep you on the rails, with an eye on the figurative taxi meter. From the December editorial, it looks like we're heading for the modern equivalent of that. The result could be very good -- if for no other reason that keeping track of member interactions can better help the org keep track of costs and ongoingly determine which services to keep, which to end, and which to look into providing.

I wonder how many reading this thread recall -- have even heard about -- the HQ staff's attempt to unionize in the early 1980s, the upshot of which was that the ARRL Board brought in union-busters that, as one aspect of the strategy, made just about everyone and their brother a manager so they were ineligible for union membership? Part of the reason for that unionization push was that one of the key perks of working at ARRL HQ, a 4-day 10-hour-day week that helped to offset the org's generally below-par pay, was ended on the insistence of the same ARRL president who would later disallow the use of voicemail as a tool for prioritizing work.

Things aren't like they used to be in the good old days, and they never were. In the old old days at ARRL HQ, core licensed members commonly worked six days, including a halfish day on Saturday.

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The context in which I have repeatedly heard that term (and similar terms) used is basically, "I can't get my people to do my manager job for me plus 20 other jobs for the price of a half of a salary, so I'm going to pit them against each other so they will compete with each other, hoping to be the few who keep their jobs at some unspecified point in the future." The idea is to rearrange the organization just enough that people will feel threatened by others' perceived skill sets, with the goal of frightening everybody into working harder, longer, cheaper, etc.

Whether that's the context of the editorial described by the OP, I don't know (and don't care).

Along with "scrum," "agile," "squad," "leverage," "nimble," and a bunch of other words that once meant something specific, "silo" is now mostly just manager code for "we don't have a plan, we won't have a plan, we don't want to plan, so quit asking and do more work for less money, or I'll import somebody who will."

WZ7U and WD4IGX like this.
  4. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

At a major aerospace corp I got sick and tired of those motivational posters. I submitted one for consideration called "Work harder, work faster, work cheaper!" which I thought pretty much summed up all those posters. My idea was rejected.

K8AI, WD4IGX and KK5JY like this.
  5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Reshuffling and reorganization are the two common tools which serve to create only an appearance of action analogous to rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Adding layers of bureaucracy, regardless of what fashionable terms are used to describe it, are ‘feel good’ actions typically ineffective at resolving fundamental and systemic problems affecting/infecting any organization.

It’s getting increasingly difficult to watch.

W1BR, WG7X, WD4IGX and 2 others like this.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey! He was serious! And... Don’t call us Shirley! :p

(Well, most of us, anyway. There’s always one... )

KC1DR and K8AI like this.
  7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

No matter what the ARRL, HQ staff, Board of Directors, and/or Executives do or don’t do...

Someone will heavily critique and criticize their actions or inactions. Whether warranted or not (and sometimes they are).

Why? Because this is the Zed... and they are the League.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't like the corporate gobbledygook either. Actually, I find it humorous. My fellow engineers and I would always laugh about this nonsense when some corporate weenie came down to bestow their wisdom upon us. Sometimes to their faces. Luckily, these sages just thought we were engaged and happy to be receiving the benefit of their astounding knowledge, empathy, and insight. :D

I'm an ARRL supporter. Always have been. Always will be. But when I read this, I groaned and thought, "Not this crap again. I still have to hear it in my retired years?" :confused:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    W9FL, KE5OFJ, WJ4U and 1 other person like this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

"Team"...great sports term, in the work environment I always took it to mean "Join me at my level of incompetence".

WN6U, K4KYV, WN1MB and 4 others like this.
  10. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

I had that one, too, along with another one, "Holy Rosary"... I could do a lap around the beads without needing the beads, and do so anywhere and at any time. :)

As for "silos", maybe the CEO will receive a ride... :eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.