Well the CEO has done it again

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7WR, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And so logic says your opinion about my opinion is crap too

2. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But that wasn’t the issue.

3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I was pleasantly surprised to see this editorial. The idea about the $5 kits is an excellent one, although the devil is in the details. It needs to be something that will do something demonstrable that will be of some interest to a newbie. A code oscillator probably won't cut it. And a $5 transmitter or receiver would be a fun novelty item for me to play with, but I suspect it would prove frustrating for a newbie.

Also, the only buzzword he used was "elevator speech," and I understood that one, unlike silos, verticals, etc.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    AG4RT likes this.
  4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If after another year or two, membership has increased, membership percentage of licensed hams increases, average age of members had decreased, numbers of women and minority members increases, services improve, revenue goes up, and costs don't go up faster than revenue, then those would potentially be grounds for keeping him.

But it will be another couple of years to see those effects, if any.

5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In the meantime, if "silos" and "verticals" and "tribes" help him do all that, then fine with me. But that's not what I like to read about in QST, the magazine that says "Devoted entirely to Amateur Radio" on the cover. Seems like there's been more "management jargon" in QST recently, than there's been in the Harvard Business Review!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    WJ4U likes this.
  6. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure. But that's not the fault of the terminology, is it? Such managers are going to fail regardless of the era and regardless of whatever process they are given to manage. Don't blame the tools if they're wielded by a dolt.

7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, it's both.

8. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Anyone is remotely capable of referring to "adjusting the trajectory of work" is someone I will avoid having anything to do with (in a work sense) if I possibly can.

KA2CZU likes this.
  9. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

McDonnell-Douglas adjusted that "trajectory of work" every 30 minutes as the managers learned how to use their project planning spreadsheets. One guy on our "team", hopeless as far as getting any real work done, was appointed team manager. I regularly filed his project deadlines in the round in-box.

WD4IGX likes this.
  10. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

based on this thread, it seems that the ARRL CEO has mis-read amateur radio demographics. I think he assumed hams were objective professionals with whom he could discuss strategy & decision making - you know, giving us a seat at the table. He was wrong - we're now up to 43 pages of bashing strategic talk, jargon, project management, project plans, etc. I think we've shown him that we're not ready for that type of inclusion and that he needs to just keep his discussions low-level and operational - leave the strategy to those that understand and appreciate it.

K4FMH, KC2XU and W0AEW like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.