Well the CEO has done it again

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7WR, Nov 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Consider yourself fortunate to get anything. I also sent him an email (almost 2 months ago) asking a simple question - would you answer a simple question for me regarding ARRL policy, and received the dreaded 'thank you for your interest, please stand by for the next available agent" canned reply. Totally unresponsive.

K1OIK likes this.
  2. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Silos are used to feed cows. Cows produce fertilizer, and we know what that is.....

WD4IGX likes this.
  3. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a career systems engineer. Mention Agile as a path for my department- I'd most likely quit. Thankfully I run departments these days.

Scrum master my behind..... What a load of hooey. It's like a corporate religion. Agile is simply a way for an unskilled manager to insert themselves into the development process.

WW2PT and WD4IGX like this.
  4. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Forty years in business has been one management fad after another. Don’t like to see it in QST even if the CEO is falling for it.

WD4IGX likes this.
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a vast chasm fixed between "manager" and "leader." I'm beginning to believe they are mutually exclusive.

WN6U, WD4IGX, NN4RH and 4 others like this.
  6. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Agile methods can work quite well when the aims of Agile are understood and applied with commitment instead of resistance. Even so-called scaled Agile. Some Agile terminology can be precious to annoying, but if you're a grownup who understands the value of delivering completed work, and adjusting the trajectory of the work, on a regular, short-work-cycle schedule, that won't bother you.

N0TZU likes this.
  7. N7EAA

N7EAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Once again a load of bullshit. The ARRL has gone the route of so many other organizations that were intended to serve its members. They no longer serve the ham community but spend the majority of their time and our money serving themselves! What a bunch of hooey! Two administrators, two secretaries, one lobbyist and a few regional managers can accomplish twice as much as this group of “professional career politicians has done for us.

WD4IGX, K1OIK and VE3FI like this.
  8. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The next ARRL BOD meeting is next Fri and Sat. My hunch is that the CEO will either be out at the end of that meeting or will be given until the following BOD meeting to turn around the perception of his performance or will be gone at that time. My experience in organizations that serve far more people than comprise ARRL membership is that faddish management speak doesn't cut it. You can quote management theory all day long but if you don't have the practical skills needed to apply it--and I don't think he does--you won't last. The ARRL's CEO position needs an active ham with a pulse on member desires AND a realistic plan to increase membership. My read is that he has neither. Don't know the guy but I do have some clue as to how to distinguish BS from the real thing. He is not the real thing.

WD4IGX, K1OIK, K8BZ and 2 others like this.
  9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like someone changed his ‘tune’ as this (February) month’s editorial epiphany is build a kit and relive the excitement month. No admission, no admonition, no acknowledgment and a huge step away from the usual rhetoric. Small steps... I did get a chuckle reading the last part about “email me”.

10. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Board meeting is indeed next week. I will of course be there.

You should talk to your director or vice-director and let him or her know your thoughts. I always welcome feedback from any ARRL member but as as courtesy, your director gets a copy of all communications.

Bear in mind that I cannot discuss employment decisions at the League but I can listen to feedback. And I've been reviewing as much feedback as I can.

I am holding a cabinet meeting with club leaders this week upcoming. I would hold a larger "town hall" style of meeting but that will come later.

N7WR, N0TZU and K8BZ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.