Well the CEO has done it again

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7WR, Nov 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So... While I do agree with the sentiments expressed here, I can't help but wonder if the new "CEO" even hears any of this? Judging from the comments of others who have emailed him directly, I would say that the answer is no.

If the ARRL continues with this kind of "leadership" many folks, including myself, will be checking out. So when the membership begins diminishing even more, will the folks in the head shed sit up and pay attention?

Remains to be seen. I've been a member of "the club" for 3.2 decades. I've also been a member of my local club for the same amount of time. If it every became a point where I had to make a choice of which one to support, it would be no contest.

My local club, the one where I can go to any time, where I know the members, the leadership, etc will always get my support.

Another vote for the Radio Club of Tacoma (W7DK.org)!

2. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Still waiting on your TPS reports...

KU4X likes this.
  3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

The best (tentative) news I have heard from the League in a long time, from the digital edition of QST just released to-day:
    CEO Howard Michael announced in his monthly editorial page (p.9) that starting in early 2020 QEX (and NCJ) will be offered in digital form to subscribers as a member benefit. He doesn't make it clear whether this is a decision already made, or if it is a recommended proposal that must be approved by the Board.

4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I find it interesting how little comment that news has gotten here,

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"just released to-day:"

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Four out of five current licensees in the US see less than $50 worth of value in League membership. It's not unreasonable to extrapolate from there, that the percentage of people interested in either QST or QEX (*) could easily be well into the single digits.

And it makes a lot of sense, when you think about it. Why pay $50 for somebody else to decide what articles I get to read, when I can get an endless supply of free technical articles from all over the world with little more than a Google search?

(*) ...the bio-break ad-surfers notwithstanding. :)

7. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's good, but it's really not a terribly big deal. Something that's easy for them to implement, for which they now charge $.

My guess is it's not much of a cash cow, so they're throwing the membership a bone.

8. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

That cart is pretty worn. Since you have only one message and play it endlessly, maybe digitize it so you can play it over and over with no degradation.

W3WN and K1OIK like this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since you didn't dispute anything I said, I have to conclude that you agree with the substance of what I said. :)

10. N4QX

N4QX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would, but the news is easily lost next to (1) the surrounding, um, let’s be nice and call it jargon, and (2) the dare to readers to call their Directors to get them onside (which is unprecedented).