Well the CEO has done it again

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N7WR, Nov 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

For those of you who are ARRL members or otherwise have access to the December 2019 issue of QST if you have the stomach for management speak be sure and read the ARRL CEO's "Second Century" editorial. Given my profession I have kept abreast of current management trends though I certainly do not always agree with those trends.

Seldom have I read the comments of a CEO that were so "textbook". I much prefer practical, rather than faddish, approaches to managing an organization. What I see (read) in the ARRL CEO's columns make little sense when one is talking about an organization (largely run by volunteers) like the League.

In this month's column we learn that ARRL HQ now has a "Management Council" . Nothing particularly problematic about that until you read the language he uses to describe that council. It "helps break down 'silos' within the organization"--well that's a new one to me. A graduate degree in management and I have never heard that term before...and have zero clue what he is talking about.

Then we learn that HQ now has "Chapter Leaders" whose function is to insure that employees are "deployed to value creation opportunities". Again I guess my grad school was deficient in not defining what the hell that means.

Then we find that the League now has "Tribal Leaders"...Yep, folks that's right..."tribal leaders". Their function, among others, is to "deliver desired business outcomes". Oh, OK. And, finally HQ now has "Squad Leaders". I get that term though my experience with it has been in military/law enforcement environments but maybe the tactics he is promoting are the same.

And, finally, we end this month's editorial with yet another reference to Steve Jobs with the message that the League is now in the process of "architecting a company which will hopefully be much more incredible.."

There is an old saying in management. Be aware of the "leader" who is more concerned with innovative process than s/he is with product. I think we have one of those guys at the helm of the ARRL. Again, not impressed and, in fact, less impressed with every passing editorial.

KA2FIR, AF7XI, NL7W and 7 others like this.
  2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Silos is a 'newer' term in corporate speak. It's overused and I get tired of hearing it at work. One day I will create a corporate 'buzzword' and copyright it :)

AF7XI, K2CAJ, K4BAD and 6 others like this.
  3. KF5JOT

KF5JOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah the "Shatter Silos" is part of the latest management buzz word salad that popped up a coupel of years ago. I think it's a rewording of some other buzz word salad that was out about 25 years go. We've had it thrown in our face for the last couple of years at work. More management fad of the year as far as I'm concerned. Been through at least 5 different new management philosophies since I started with this company in the 80's.

AF7XI, K2CAJ, KK5JY and 1 other person like this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

*sigh*

Here we go again...

K1TGX, KS2G, NK7Z and 5 others like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is a VERY handy tool in the corporate world - try it!

Trust me ... with this little app, in no time you will, in mere moments, globally simplify customer directed value and be able to continually on-board flexible methodologies!!!

https://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

KB9OFM, WA7PRC, N1OOQ and 11 others like this.
  6. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to have a version of this for my Palm Pilot, if that tells you anything.

KA2FIR, AF7XT, AF7XI and 3 others like this.
  7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have, unfortunately, heard the term "silos."

I swear I often believe that the Harvard Business School, and in particular the absurd idea that started there that "business is business" and one need know only some generic "management" to successfully manage an organization in any field, is at root of everything that has gone wrong in the world ever since. And possibly even the heartbreak of psoriasis. Ok, maybe not that but...

I think you mean "beware" rather than "be aware" no? Autocorrect?

I am a member but haven't read it yet. But just your description and synopsis gives me the heebie-jeebies. I've worked for a fair number of companies and, without exception, the more jargon laced mumbo-jumbo like this that was spouted from management, the more screwed up a place was, or became once this gibberish starts.

BTW, I also have a Master's in management, specifically in my case Master of City Management, basically an MPA specializing in urban and regional government, East Tennessee State University, 1993. But I've never "used it" as such since doing my internship for it. I had never worked in an office environment before and to say the culture shock was overwhelming would be a severe understatement. I had no stomach for it and parlayed my ham experience and Extra ticket into a TV transmitter engineer job from which I went to the studio later to run their little network in the early days of the Internet boom. I did my internship in 1989 and jumped to the station then, wrote my Master's Report on my internship while babysitting the transmitter on overnight shifts so as to finish up in 93. In 98 I went to the studio to run their computer network, got into networking and have had a good career in computer networking and telecom, on the technical side carefully avoiding any management role beyond team lead/SME ever since. Much happier than I would have been I'm sure!

KD0CAC, K4BAD and N2EY like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So once upon a time, you too knew how to dramatically actualize resource-sucking leadership in strategically selected verticals!

Kudos! Let's do lunch.

:D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

KE5OFJ, KB9OFM, WA7PRC and 7 others like this.
  9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And I'll bet all of them worked just as poorly as all the others. At least that's been my experience.

I remember when Six Sigma was all the rage. Even the fact that objective, well designed studies were done showing that companies using it were, on average, LESS successful than those not, the rage persisted for a while. Those things have to run their course. Just like many diseases.

10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nah, silos is not a new term at all. It's been around for decades and, simply put, refers to any group in an organization which pursues it's own goals without considering the goals of other groups, or even working at cross purposes with them. An example would be a design department that didn't care about problems with their designs in manufacturing.

In my experience this is usually not a big problem in a small organization, because it's pretty clear to everyone what the overall goals are, and that one must work with the other people to achieve them.

It can easily be a problem in a large organization though. Often because the goals and rewards in each group don't include factors from other groups, and people will typically act according to their goals and rewards. Or other issues like a egotistical managers who think they are absolute rulers of their domain.

I really have to wonder if ARRL is large enough to have an issue with this that couldn't be addressed much more simply, for example by "walking around" and talking with counterparts, ala the old HP philosophy, or executives that actively look for friction points between groups and work to address them. Making a big formal program inevitably takes time and effort away from the real work that needs to get done every day.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    K1TGX, N7TWM, KG4RRH and 3 others like this.