ad: elecraft

Well, it finally happened, I got shocked....

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K8CCA, Mar 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You were lucky it was :eek:ONLY 170 Volts. It could have been (MUCH) worse if it had been contact with the HV lead to the CRT!

2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

With 350VDC being about the high end for 6V6's you just got a tickle and will tend to make you more careful in the future.
    Ive had my share of tickles in the past plus survived ~2500VDC a few times including in the USN, pure luck plain an simple.

3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, he moved from Australia to work for the ARRL in the lab and was instrumental with early TV designs. Got into the 6000V HV and ZAP
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_A._Hull

4. KI7Z

KI7Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I was happily playing a Gibson EB3 bass at a rehearsal. I looked over as the guitarist was stepping up to the mic as this was his verse. As he came within an inch of the mic, I saw a blue spark jump to the end of his nose. He was on his rear, and the song was over. It was scary, but hilarious as well. We had earlier discussed the "Hum" in the PA. Learned the entire home was floating (ground) later.

Now, let me add this. This is the same fellow who once found a Electric Fence charger at a yard sale. He entertained himself for a couple of days with it wired to the inside of his homes doorknob. Knock knock.. "Come in.....".. POW

Payback... In an exponential way.

Last edited: May 2, 2021 at 7:33 PM
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes the Jerk Action Response hurts more than the shock. :eek:

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CRT HV shocks were/are seldom lethal and far less dangerous than the very common 120 VAC. "It ain't necessarily the (amount of) voltage" but the voltage type, current available, and current path.

Don't be a fuse.

Last edited: May 2, 2021 at 8:14 PM
    WD4ELG, N1VAU, PU2OZT and 1 other person like this.
  7. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It depends. He was apparently working on a live (i.e., powered "on") circuit; a "live" TV's HV wouldn't dissipate it's CRT charge... But yes, even (U.S.) line voltage (120 VAC, +/-) can certainly be lethal under the right... err, I mean, wrong, circumstances.

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. WW7F

WW7F Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to build a lot of electronics from harvested parts, got my share of shocks but the one I won't forget was really intense. Was a warm Summer night and had then a Yaesu FT 101 E and FL 2100b amplifier, suddenly we had a spike from the power company, it did not fry my rig but the amplifier had a shorted disk capacitor , basically had AC to it even with the power switch off. I also had something in the final cage go wrong, so I was very dumb to worry about getting it working so I could enjoy the late night conditions , considering I was sleepy and it was about 3 AM. I got hit by the 2400 V supply somehow, I think had I been wide awake I'd have not survived it. It threw me across the room, into the wall where I hit my head hard and I woke up IDK how long later, NEVER AGAIN, I had a nice burn spot on my hand where it made contact for a while before it healed to remind me how stupid I was, Oh yeah a mild concussion from snaking my head on the wall as well Uh a reminder to be careful in a not so subtle manner, and I am not making light of it eh? sorry for the pun but LOL I have had moments like this with guitar gear as well

10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In 1969, I worked in a TV shop in Tustin California. The guy who was teaching me to repair TV's, Sam, got bit by a flyback while he was troubleshooting the horizontal sweep circuit. When he jerked his hand back, he hit the sharp metal edge of the HV cage.:eek:

It scared the crap out of me, and took 19 stitches to close his hand. Sam just took it all in stride, he was less upset than I was, but he taught me a good lesson, even if it was the hard way.;)

WA1GXC, KA9JLM and (deleted member) like this.