Well I did it!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0BLR, Jun 6, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K0BLR

K0BLR Ham Member QRZ Page

@WB2WIK Thank you for that. Where do I find out what I need for concrete, and whatever else like a template?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

All that is in the Rohn engineering docs, see attached.

Attached Files:

3. WB2WIK

Did you download and read the documents?

Complete foundation details and mounting stub template is below. Since you're in MN, I'd recommend the 4' deep foundation which takes 4.9 cubic yards of concrete, fourteen #3 rebars and of course three 1" x 30" anchor bolts plus the Rohn (or Shelby) mounting stubs, if they didn't come with the tower.

I've installed these before, they're strong towers assuming all the directions are followed.
    bx2.PNG

4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget to install the J bolts correctly. That is definitely a "measure twice, cut once" deal. I used the template for mine, the guy who did my pad set them up, clamped, and welded them to the rebar. We then checked them again with a plywood template drilled from the original cardboard one, before he poured the concrete. My pad was four by four by four, overkill for a 45 ft crank up, but never had any problems, even through two hurricanes.

N3AWS likes this.
  5. W2GIW

W2GIW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't miss climbing my HDBX-48!!

N3AWS likes this.
  6. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

You may not even need the extra "$$". When I was ready to put up my tower back in 1981, I had holes dug for the tower base and guy anchors, re-bar in place, and guy anchors positioned. I calculated how much concrete I needed, and put in my order to the ready-mix concrete company. They came and filled in all the holes to my specifications, then the guy on the concrete truck asked me where I wanted him to dump the rest.

"The rest?", evidently I had slightly over-calculated, or else they mix up a little more than needed, to make sure there is enough for the job. The driver explained that he had to dump it somewhere on site; they had no facility to haul back and dispose of left-over concrete. I certainly didn't want a pile dumped out in the field somewhere to turn into a boulder that would for ever be in the way with no easy means to move. So I told him to use "the rest" to top off the guy anchor holes that he had already filled to specifications. Instead of the anchor "dead men" being a couple of feet below grade per specs, two of them ended up only a few inches below grade, but the anchors and everything else stayed precisely in place. The extra concrete is out of sight, out of mind, and gives me a little overkill that likely isn't needed, but it certainly doesn't hurt anything. Unfortunately, the sides of the third anchor hole had collapsed from an unexpected rainstorm while I was digging, and I had to dig out and build a wooden form for that one, that wouldn't hold any extra concrete. But all the left-over got used up in the other two.

7. K0BLR

K0BLR Ham Member QRZ Page

where do I find them at? its a 64ft.

8. WB2WIK

Where do you find what?

9. NY7V

NY7V Ham Member QRZ Page

Installing anchor bolts correctly requires not welding them to the rebar. Notice the foundation notes expressly forbid welding the rebar and embedments.

Source: I am a building inspector.

10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is this?