Well I did it!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0BLR, Jun 6, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K0BLR

K0BLR Ham Member QRZ Page

The $90,000 dollar question is what are the dimensions or spacing of bolts that go into the concrete, and the spacing where the legs go into.

KO4ESA likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Uh. contact Rohn if its actually a Rohn product.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The BX series all tilt over from the base, so they're pretty easy to manage.

The Rohn BX catalog on line has all details.

Note an important engineering detail per Rohn is the BX family is limited to fairly short booms or elements if used with horizontal antennas like rotary beams. They specify 10' maximum length for horizontal parts (boom, elements) although hams have violated that for years.

The weak link is the cross members are not welded, they're riveted to the uprights with aluminum rivets.

4. K0BLR

my other question what do I do with tower that tall? I guess I'm only thinking about just supporting my G5RV, and Hybriddx doublet. I did have thoughts about putting up a 26B2 phased beams for 2 and phased beams for 440. However I could go with quads to. they are lighter. The bands I'm looking for are 80,40,20, and maybe 160. The Big G5RV, and the hybriddx by quick silver radio will both do that. I've heard of putting a shunt on the tower, and turning that into an antenna to, but I have no clue what that entails or how to do that....yes I've looked on you tube.

I'm very excited but the series side to this is that this all has to be done right for the base to work.

KA4DPO likes this.
  5. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

CONGRATS.jpg

BOB THE BUILDER.jpg

73 ES KEEP :):):):):):):):):)ing

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. WB2WIK

Once properly installed you can shunt feed the tower, but that's a "single band" system which requires modification if you change bands.

Adding lots of radials helps make that work.

ARRL Antenna Book and lots of other books detail exactly what to do. It's "tricky," but it certainly works.

Get 'er up!

7. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations! Just get that thing in the air, I once bought 100 feet of Rohn 45 with grand plans at the time of buying some land outside of town and starting to build a station. A few months after I made the purchase I met my now wife and between all the fun that such things entail I also started traveling very consistently for work for several years. Incidentally the tower is now in the air, just at a different station location.

You can do a lot with the 65ft foot tower. I would probably ditch the G5RV and put up a Hex mean for 6-20 Meters and then an inverted V for 40/80 ( https://qrznow.com/coil-loaded-4080-meter-inverted-v-dipole-antenna-by-kg0zz/) -- then as WIK says Shunt feeding for 160 with lots of radials if you can. If you have land do receive beverages for the low bands and you will have a great set-up.

Good luck and have fun and I hope to work you on the air.

8. K0BLR

Thank KJ5T! See you on the air! I need to find someone with an antenna analyzer.

9. K0BLR

Update on the tower......it’s NOT a Rohn. This particular tower was made by Thomas Shelby and company.

10. WB2WIK

That would be a Rohn BX tower, actually.
    If it's 64 feet, it's a TBX64 with 8 sections (same as Rohn BX64).

Note that Shelby uses all Rohn tooling and same materials but doesn't provide detailed engineering analysis and specifications; however Rohn always did, and they are excellent. Of important note is this page, and the warning (near top of page) about antenna boom length:
    bx tower.PNG

The complete set of drawings and specifications are still a free download from Rohn, even though Shelby bought this product line.

WN1MB and WZ7U like this.