Well I did it!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0BLR, Jun 6, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K0BLR

K0BLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone!

How are we all doing? Well I did it purchased from another ham in Minnesota a Rohn 65ft tower for my station SE Georgia. All I paid was $725 for it. For sure for antennas I have the big G5RV, and the quick silver radio hybriddx antenna. For the concrete pad the owner told me that he had a 5'x5'x6' pad and that seem to work well. If I could put up a loop I would but cant because of power lines.

Ben K0BLR

N3RYB, KO4ESA and W4NNF like this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it up yet?

Which Rohn tower model is it?

Brand new Rohn 25G for 70' (seven 10-foot sections) costs $840, so I'm guessing you got a bigger model tower (45G? 55G?).

KO4ESA likes this.
  3. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The question becomes how are you going to get the tower sections from Minnesota to Georgia???

K4KYV and KO4ESA like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I would go by what Rohn says for the concrete work - not something to mess about with or guess

Curious what model tower it is…

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AWS, KO4ESA, WA9SVD and 1 other person like this.
  5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

You can usually use MORE concrete than the manufacturer recommends:rolleyes: (IF you have extra $$) but NEVER use less:(. Using less usually makes headlines about "ham killed in tower collapse..." or "tower falls during storm...

K5BDH, KO4ESA and W7UUU like this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of great tower deals to be had if the shipping doesn't kill you.

Another vote for not skrimping on the rest of it.

N3AWS and KO4ESA like this.
  7. K0BLR

@W2AI The sections of the tower are 8' long so they will fit in a full size chevy van with no problem. I don't know what Rohn model it is. It isn't new. No its not up yet. it is nested and secured on a pallet

KO4ESA likes this.
  8. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nested?

More information needed.

Rohn has make MANY models over the years.

KO4ESA likes this.
  9. KK0SD

KK0SD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nested would imply BX or AX tower. They haul in a pickup pretty easy. One guy can load and unload, just need to do a section at a time. At 64 feet it is not HDBX . HDBX is the bottom 6 sections (the heavier ones) of an 8 section BX. The big concrete block in the ground would be consistent with the Rohn freestanding instructions.

Follow Rohn's loading limits and you will be fine. I miss my HDBX-48.

Joe kk0sd

N1VAU and KO4ESA like this.
  10. K0BLR

The best I can tell from the owner sent me it appears to be a TBX64 tower. I’ll be able t send photos in two weeks of the tower.

N1VAU and KO4ESA like this.