ad: Flexradio-1

Welcome to The Radio Garden

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W7UUU, Feb 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

While not specifically amateur radio, this is one of the coolest "radio related" web sites I've ever stumbled upon.

The Radio Garden project was developed beginning 2013 by the Netherlands Institute for Sound & Vision, with a primary goal to "narrow boundaries for radio". You can read the Wiki article on the project here AT THIS LINK or click the Earth image below.

Think of a "Google Earth" sort of graphical interface, where you can circle the planet and select and listen to radio stations, large and small in market scope (based on the size of the dot you click), anywhere on earth where radio stations can be found. Or the station down the road in your own town. Over 8000 stations currently participate in the project.

It's easy to disappear into the "virtualized airwaves" of local AM and FM radio from truly exotic and remote areas of the earth.

The link to "The Radio Garden" is www.radio.garden or just click the screen capture image below. The site passes all my filters for any "bad stuff" and is a non-profit organization. Just zoom out and "spin the globe" to visit anywhere that interests you - then click on the green dots to hear that station in real time.

Note that it's a graphically-intensive website that may not view correctly or at all on some older or lower horsepower computers and browsers. But I've tried it on every device I own, from phones to powerful desktops, and it works great on everything I've tried. If your browser has trouble with the link, try a different browser.

Have fun - in many ways, it's like the SWL days of old - just virtualized using digital audio feeds from afar.

Dave
    W7UUU

radio-garden.PNG

M1WML, JF1IRQ, DL4QB and 26 others like this.
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That is too cool Dave. I just listened to a radio station in Kaduna Nigeria, haven't done that in 42 years.:)

M1WML, AK5B and W3LES like this.
  3. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Subscriber QRZ Page

4. K4BAD

K4BAD Ham Member QRZ Page

This is indeed a great site.Unfortunately haven’t had enough spare time to thoroughly explore the site.

M1WML likes this.
  5. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This has been a hit at the VOA museum for a while now. Cool stuff!

M1WML, K7IN and K6CLS like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely cool.

Just for clarification: some of these stations aren't actually radio (at origin), but streams. Is that correct?

M1WML likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

As far as I understand, MOST are "actual radio" that the station then provides via streaming (for the most part - a handful are "streaming only")

The vast majority of what you hear are what is actually going out over the air in that market, except the few that are only streamed. I'm not sure how you tell one from the other however.

Dave
    W7UUU

M1WML likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the folks in my wife's church are doing the Radio Uganda in Waltham MA:)

Don't think that starts as broadcast....but could be wrong:)

Just goes to show--whatever works!

M1WML likes this.
  9. AB6RF

AB6RF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One of most exciting resources the Internet has to offer!

But sometimes I run into strange “glitches”, not sure if they are bugs, or designed-in features.
    For example, last night I switched over to listen to a station in Morocco, but at first what I got was a familiar State Farm insurance radio add.
    Pretty sure it wasn’t being played to the audience in Morocco :)

M1WML and AK5B like this.
  10. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't thought of radio garden since I moved 4 years ago, thanks for the reminder. It's a pretty cool site.

M1WML likes this.
  11. W7UUU

I've heard that as well - my guess is some of the feed stations support "On the air ads" to help support the cost. Just my guess... but by and large, MOST of the stations do not have such ads - only "local" ads as you'd hear in that country

Dave
    W7UUU

M1WML likes this.
  12. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool Dave thanks so much for sharing so many of the things that you post.
    And...... Damn that internet just keeps making the world a smaller and smaller a place.
    I wonder if anyone has pondered the potential for continued world shrinkage, the threat could be as bad as the current threats from global warming;)
    Oh my!!!! did I? I did! Huh,,,,,,, I in fact did just think that out loud,,, or I actually did just post that!?
    Dang that zed!
    Seriously and not SIRIUS
    THANKS DAVE
    IT IS REALLY COOL STUFF!

M1WML likes this.
  13. KB7DV

KB7DV QRZ Lifetime Member #147 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Very cool site. I noticed if you land on Tokyo you might actually land on Narita International air traffic control. I found that interesting. Thanks!

M1WML likes this.
  14. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Great site, Thanks. Sending it to several non hams to see if it will spike some interest.

M1WML and N2ICZ like this.
  15. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

Chrome browser was interesting. The link posted doesn't work in (my) Chrome. However if I duckduckgo my way around to it and use http://radio.garden/search it works fine. Firefox likes the link posted. Thanks for this forgotten resource!

M1WML and N2ICZ like this.