Welcome to the Homebrew/DIY forum.

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by AB8RO, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All,

First of all, thanks to Fred for setting this up for us. I've asked for some of the more interesting recent threads to be moved in here and I'm told that can happen. If you've been involved with some DIY threads lately and would like to see them moved in here perhaps you could post the link on this thread. Even if they're not all moved in here, we will have a nice reference list of recent DIY topics.

Here's a couple that come to mind for me:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=167301&highlight=ssb+phasing

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=168741&highlight=homebrew

2. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm going to start hunting around for the stuff I need to complete a few receiver building blocks then see what I can make from them; will attempt to capture the details for each via camera then post when complete.

Is the forum strictly limited to "new" cosntruction projects or can it include in-depth modifications to existing gear? If so: I've come up with a number of mods for TR7, TR5 and R7 equipment which might be of interest to this forum's participants.

3. AB8RO

Mods go into the "mods" forum, but even old construction projects would be on topic here. :)

4. N0WVA

N0WVA Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, I didnt think it would happen....But I like it! Now its time to get building again.....And I can put up the pictures and info here to share.

5. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member QRZ Page

This is great.
    Way to go ab8ro!

Now if only I was worthy to contribute....

6. K5UOS

K5UOS Ham Member QRZ Page

Daryl,

Thanks to you and Fred. I am excited and always available to help in my limited way.

Pictures are my favorite. I would like to follow KB9BVN's NT7S building project.
    It would be interesting to read his comments as he progresses.

I am working on two big projects (a few small). A new 20, 15 and 10M tube receiver and a 40M CW transceiver. I will post pictures when I figure out our new digital camera. I am having some indecision concerning the RF amp and the 1st mixer in the tube receiver. I built a very quiet K2 receiver clone for the 40M transceiver and I want to have similar results in the tube rig.

73, GL with your projects.

K5UOS

7. N0WVA

N0WVA Ham Member QRZ Page

Whats scheme are you using for the 40 meter rig?

8. K5UOS

K5UOS Ham Member QRZ Page

Doug,

Essentially, it is a K2 receiver for one frequency.

The front end is a triple tuned circuit that feeds a level 7 TUF-1 mixer. Following the mixer is a stout post mixer amp using a 2N5189.

The IF is 9.216MHz with an analog LO running at 2.146 to 2.216MHZ with 2ea +7dbm outputs i.e. one for RX and one for TX. The filter is a 5 xtal homebrew filter. I use L matching networks into and out of the filter.

I used a MC1350P IF amp and followed this by a two crystal roofing filter. I again matched with L networks in and out of each stage.

I broke from the basic K2 design from here on. The K2 used an NE602 mixer. I used another passive TUF-1 diode mixer followed by an audio diplexer and decoupling circuit similar to the one in KK7B's R2 receiver. Next I used 2ea 2N3904 audio amp in the configuration popularized by W7EL in the Optimized QRP Tranceiver and further updated by KK7B in his DC receiver projects. I included some additional low pass audio filtering and a 14 pin LM380 power amp.

It is a nice sounding receiver. It started as a SSB receiver but I just don't have must interest in sideband. The receiver quality convinced me it would be a good CW receiver.

I expect this winter to be the 1st of a couple good winters for 40M CW and some of my other 40M homebrew are getting old and need work. I hope I can finish it by winter. A couple weekends would do it.

K5UOS

9. AB8RO

We must have pictures!

10. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thx! Ive got a good place to start posting some of my projects now! There really wasnt a "proper" place before!

Thanks agn!
    Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.