Welcome to the Amplitude Modulation Forum: PLEASE READ!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Apr 8, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Okay
    I set the forum display so that it descends from the latest post to the top. You may want to check your console settings to
    see if you're set up to see things the same way. It's working for me as of now.
    73 de Billy N6YW

KD2ACO and K4VA like this.
  2. AL7RU

AL7RU Ham Member QRZ Page

FAA (you know, the aviation feds) still insist on VHF AM only. Ain't that grand? They must know something.

KD2ACO likes this.
  3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Two reasons, a question of reliability. With slopbucket, the doppler effect with a moving aircraft can be enough to significantly de-tune the signal (I was dubious, since the speed of the fastest jet is such a minuscule fraction of the speed of light, but calculations have convinced me otherwise). Also, the precision tuning requirements of SSB.

Secondly, FM is unacceptable due to the capture effect. With AM, with mutual interference, both signals can still be audible, even if not totally readable. With FM, the stronger signal blanks out the weaker one, something which could be fatal with air traffic control in congested air space when someone might not be aware that a weaker signal is there.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    KG5EXW, W8NSI, N6YW and 1 other person like this.
  4. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

+1 this; AM

73DG

5. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Greetings again & PLEASE READ.
    Moving forward into the new year, I am mandating to all who use this forum to please steer clear of
    political, legal and wedge issue discussions. While we all dabble in the discussion of those items from
    time to time, it has become apparent to me that they can become counter productive to the main
    intent of what this forum is about, Amplitude Modulation, it's use and the technical side which is
    joined at the hip the personal side... the QSO, the camaraderie and friendships we develop on AM.
    Our fraternity is a meaningful one that deserves respect. Let's keep it that way.
    Thank you,
    Billy N6YW

WA3VJB and K4VA like this.
  6. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I find nothing objectionable about discussing political issues that directly affect AM or amateur radio in general (the recent FAA tower legislation for example), or legal issues such as FCC rules, FCC rulemaking dockets/petitions/decisions, antenna rights, etc., as long as the discussion remains civil and sane. In fact, I believe that's one of the reasons for having these radio-related forums, to allow hams and the AM community to keep instantly abreast of developments so we can hopefully reach some kind of consensus and defend our position whenever necessary.

We don't want to go the way of that other AM site where nothing even slightly controversial, or objectionable in the minds of a couple of the administrators, can be discussed. Furthermore, there's another forum here on QRZ.com, set aside (to paid members only) for generic political debate and drivel, and I agree we should keep it there; we hear enough of that elsewhere so we don't need it here.

AC0OB, WA3VJB and K4VA like this.
  7. AL7RU

AL7RU Ham Member QRZ Page

All true of course. Particularly capture effect.

8. KI6DCB

KI6DCB Ham Member QRZ Page

And, of course, you would. ;-)

9. K0XHF

K0XHF Ham Member QRZ Page

I came into possession of an all mode 2M unit, QRP. does AM work well on a horizontal antenna, or is it better on a vertical aligned. AM is not popular around here and my Baofeng only does FM. I may end up putting my Kenwood TS700s in my car, if it will easily fit under the dash of a retired police car. It ought to scare some bad guys just seeing a radio that size in a car.