Welcome to Swapmeet Talk

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AA7BQ, Jan 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. KN7S

KN7S Senior Swapmeet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I think that Fred pointed this out very succinctly;
    Email Sent messages
    You've probably seen listings where a potential buyer posts "email sent" as a reply to a for-sale listing. These are unfair. Yes, that's right, unfair. It's unfair because 1) other potential buyers are discouraged from further consideration of the item, 2) it may or may not have been an offer, and 3) it makes no sense. Of those, "it makes no sense" rings particularly true because it is a message about a message. You should delete postings that say "Email sent" or something similar. It would be different if there is/was an email problem, but short of that, it's stupid.

I have to agree with all of the above statements and I do delete all posts that simply say "I'll take it" or "E-mail sent". I have seen posts that state "your e-mail bounced" and the like. I have no problem with those types of posts because the potential buyer at least tried to contact the seller in the proper way so I will not delete such a message.
    When I do delete posts I often time receive e-mails saying "How dare you delete my message without telling me why". When Dan, Fred or I delete a posting we always give a reason why. But if the recipient does not have her/his alerts turned on, they will not receive the reason for the deletion. In short, turn the Alerts ON.
    Everything done here on The Zed is due to rules and policies that have evolved over decades, and they change as demands dictate. We will always take thoughts and criticisms into account as they evolve over time.
    We Mods & Admins do what we do to keep things here on an even keel. We also certainly listen to input from one and all. This new forum is a great place to do that or feel free to send us e-mail. You will get a response.

K7MH, N3AB and WB7OXP like this.
  2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

People assume that "email sent" means that they should be first in line as the "winner" so to speak. It doesn't. Even with a set price sale sometimes someone will offer a bit more or offer to pay the cost of shipping when it was included in the set price.
    Nothing says you have to sell an item to the first person that says "I'll take it". If I have 5 emails or PMs from people that want an item I am going to do a little homework to get an idea who the best buyer is in terms of them not being a problem down the road.
    A well written lookup page can go a long way for that. A juvenile lookup page or one that is a huge rant about everything that is wrong with the world isn't going to help your case!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    N3AB and KN7S like this.
  3. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

We prefer that you not post "email sent". The reason for this is that seeing the words "email sent" tends to discourage other potential buyers. In context, "email sent" can literally refer to any message and not necessarily a commitment to buy or an offer of any kind. For example, one could write the seller an email asking for the serial number of the item. Then, not hearing from the seller immediately, the prospect posts "email sent" in an effort to get the seller's attention. It's in effect, a message _about_ a message. The down side is that other, prospective customers see "email sent" and figure that they're too late and will move on. Suppose that no sale takes place, now the Seller must follow up with a post saying "Item is Still For Sale", thereby countering the "email sent" notice. With all of that churn and confusion, why not refrain from posting "email sent"?

KA2CDT likes this.
  4. W8XW

W8XW Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you change the status from - For Sale to Sold.

Tnx w8xw@arrl.net

5. KN7S

All you need do is Reply to your ad with the word SOLD. A moderator will be alerted and will lock your ad in short order.

6. AB9NN

AB9NN Ham Member QRZ Page

Question from a newbie. My wife, AC9NO, sold her ham radio equipment and I need to take down the ad that was posted on QRZ. What is the best way to track that down and delete it, make sure it is never ever active again or otherwise disable it so as to not violate any policy or mis-leed any other hams? Thank you! AB9NN - the listing is under me...

7. KN7S

Jon,
    I found the ad and have marked it as sold.
    In the future, all you need do is Reply to your ad with the word SOLD. We'll be alerted and will take it from there.

8. KC8EQF

KC8EQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Why was my post deleted? IE communications headset

9. KN7S

10. KC8EQF

KC8EQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to post in amateur gear for sale about 15 minutes ago and it never showed up.