Welcome to Straight Keys

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by AA7BQ, Jul 28, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

******************************************************************************************
    Sounds like you're very, very decadent OB, but I don't blame you, as on my "Begali (Sculpture)" I had my call ENGRAVED ON IT, so I know "Look who's talking!".
    RIGHT???

2. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

My wife calls it "beeping", maybe the beeping forum?

3. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure I agree with you. "Well run together" Pardon? So you run several letters/words together so ordinary mortals cannot read what was intended??

Perhaps you can expand on your 'rules' for running letters together please?

When most people (OK, me!) read CW in your example, you give JW as being acceptable. That is because most competent CW ops assume when they get to the last dash in J and hear another dit without a gap, that it must be the end of a letter for the simple reason there is no other CW character beyond that i.e., nothing which then goes .---. so a good operator would guess it must be J & W run together. But it could also be AMEM run together or another combination.

How would someone who doesn't understand English and know which town/city was being referred to if everyone decided to run their home QTH. For example my QTH is Whitby - or is there really a Whuby in the UK??, or perhaps they though I'd sent PSIMKTR - somewhere in russia perhaps?

You are of course absolutely right to state you can't fall asleep whilst copying this because its takes so much concentration to copy it properly.

Luckily I didn't hear many people like that when CW was used commercially and militarily. It would have meant absolute mayhem and confusion.

Oh, and is your C/S VK5S? because thats what I'd be looking up!

4. VP9KS

VP9KS Ham Member QRZ Page

Boy, does that bring back some memories. Way back then, I think that QRS was my most used Q signal. HI HI!o_Oo_O:D

5. W9RDC

W9RDC Ham Member QRZ Page

Around here "Fists of Fury" might seem more appropriate. :p

6. KD2RON

KD2RON Ham Member QRZ Page

Good suggestions. We should at least remove the Straight part since we have a strong LGBT following.

W5BIB likes this.
  7. K6YF

K6YF Ham Member QRZ Page

"Alternative Keys"?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  8. KI4VLM

KI4VLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Short intro here. I am a general for past 4 years, voice mostly, 40 meters. Old Kenwood Ts 820 s radio. CW has always been a fascination, but never thought I could learn it. Well, I ain't gettin any younger, so decided to try learning. I am using the G4FON Koch method and am catching on. I started out at 20 wpm, but just could not seem to make progress, so I slowed it down to 10 wpm and am doing much better now. I think my hearing may be part of my problem. A am trying to devote at least 30 minutes a day, and sometimes an hour. I get frustrated a lot, but am determined to learn this blamed di di di dah dah dah stuff eventually. I am slow, but steady. I plan to speed it up a little at a time until I can copy at least 20 wpm. I hope this method works as I am tired of voice, same old stuff, same rude people, same bragging and put downs, just no time for that. I realize this is probably the same in CW, but for some reason, not as many because it takes effort to learn code. Anyhow, enjoying reading this forum, and hope I can contribute one day. BTW, I am a straight key......and use one too.

9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice thing about CW is that there's 'no time for that' kind of bad behavior!

By the time you get done with signal report, name, qth, rig, weather, it's time to qrt!;)

10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what the Koch method is but everyone started out slow so don't worry about that.

That may be true for many QSOs but there are some who ragchew for a while on CW. But to ragchew you have to enjoy CW and to enjoy CW you have to get good at it and to get good at it you have to do it a lot. That means there's an uphill slog, doing something a lot that isn't much fun at first and that's an obstacle for many. But a lot of skills are like that: playing a musical instrument, doing metal work, soldering...

Another difficulty for hams is shifting gears and slowing down and carving out some time for what to many is an old fashioned CW QSO. You have to put away your smart phone and other gadgets and re-focus on the miracle of communicating directly with a distant person using nothing more than a simple transmitter, receiver and wire outside. Unfortunately the only people who seem to get this are hams over 60 and we're going SK at the rate of around 250 every month.

WR2E likes this.