ad: M2Ant-1

Welcome to Straight Keys

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by AA7BQ, Jul 28, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with that AMECO key for a beginner. Nothing at all. If it gets people started, that's what is important.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with that AMECO key for a beginner. Nothing at all. If it gets people started, that's what is important. It costs less than lunch out. If people use it for six months, then throw it away for a better key, they have lost nothing.

WD0BCT likes this.
  3. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

The touch screen doesn't even come close to being responsive enough to learn to actually send code.
    You can purchase used straight keys (decent ones, not plastic philcos or mfjs) for under $75 on e@ay.

4. AE4P

AE4P Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not against spending the money, but I want to learn and know my interest will stay with it before I spend the money to buy a good one. If I can get good enough to copy code and to send at a speed that hams will talk to me with, then I will invest.

5. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Worry about the code and not the key. To learn you only need to be able to tap two wires together. :)

Any cheap key will be fine.

K7TRF and KA0HCP like this.
  6. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Aye, that's the rub. It's the same as when this skinny red headed kid joined the school band as a tuba player. The tuba they provided was total crap, leaky, smelly, beat to hell, sticking valves, impossible to tune. Luckily, I wanted to play, no matter what, and persevered over all disappointments, played in school bands, dance bands, and community bands for ~60 years. Not many who started with that quality tuba stuck it out.

The difference in cost isn't much in this case, but it's up to the student.

7. AE4P

AE4P Ham Member QRZ Page

I downloaded some CW decoding programs, thought it would help to hear a qso and see what words the sounds made, However either none of the decode programs are any good or none of the cw operators were any good. SO my question is are the computer programs not any good, or too literal? I would like to think that I could have found one decent operator of of many I tried to listen too. I have focused so far on learning by transmitting, rather then recieving. Was more fun to learn to send. So I am not working with much skill at decoding so I can't answer this question from my listening skills. if someone knows a program to decode thats spot on let me know.

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't tried to use any of the decoders for years and years so can't speak to the quality of the ones out there now, but...

Those programs are going to react to any noise on the bands at the time. To get perfect copy you have to start with perfect code and very low noise levels.

Sometimes you can improve the copy by lowering the volume greatly to reduce the noise the program is hearing, you might be overloading the audio input.

That said, I'm not sure your plan is going to work very well. I don't believe your method of learning to copy is a good one.

9. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The best decoder is that little bit of gray matter between your two ears. I've never found a decoder that works as well as that.

The Elecraft KX line has a pretty good one, but WR2E brings up a good point; noise is going to jerk the rug out from under any good decoder and turn it into a gibbering idiot that will only send a string of "E". Your mind is much better at putting that stuff together and filling in the gaps.

10. AE4P

AE4P Ham Member QRZ Page

I am working with LCWO.NET but thought it would give a more interesting break from the dry random code practice. I you can upload a file or do text, but I thought a real qso would be more fun.