ad: Alphaant-1

Welcome to Elmers Corner

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by AA7BQ, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N9MOQ

N9MOQ Guest

What the heck does "ELMER" mean?

. .

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2009
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a great story...and shows how all the best traditions were unintentional. :)

eric

3. K3WRV

K3WRV Guest

Well Eric-

I stuck something in my Bio page. But there must be someone out there with a less kudged up Idea than mine. The probnlem, as I see it is that Elmers Want to be Elmers. Noobies want Elmers, but we have a hard time connecting. I found mine through the Boy Scout's merit Badge program, and I've given my info to the local Rat Shack. We need to make this work for the new guys.

I found one guy who helped me by having my Grandfather drive me around the County while I looked for big antennae. It worked, but ...

Think about the YL with the Coax problem a few months back. WhaT ever the solution, it has to be good for the noobies. If a new person doesn't know enough to look ME up and see my profile. And I can't be found in the club directories - the club I belong to does boatanchors and is 50 miles away. Not exactly noobie stuff.

4. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred,

I have a suggestion. I think that the subforum for antennas is working extremely well in the homebrew forum. I think a subforum here for beginners articles would also be nice. That is, articles written by QRZ members and posted as threads. The moderation would primarly involve filtering what is and what isn't an article and discussion of the articles to the extent of their correctness and additional resources should be allowed but not necessarily longwinded debate.

A good example to illustrate this, for example, might be an artile entitled "How to learn CW." Discussion might involve different morse training resources and what worked for people whereas the merits of CW, either pro or con, would not be allowed. I can think of many examples of articles that are sources of common questions such as "How to make a dipole", "What should you consider in a new radio" etc.

Perhaps, in fact, the moderator might agree to be editor of the primary articles. That is, an article is posted but the poster agrees that the moderator will edit the article (cautiously) incorporating ideas from the commentary that follows. Sort of a moderated wiki format where the cumulative knowledge of QRZers is gathered and combined into a useful resource. The poster could, in fact, co-edit with the moderator so that ideas are incorporated without the orginal author's voice getting "lost."

5. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

It is spelled OUIJA

I prefer the I Ching over tarot cards any day.

Gary WA7KKP

6. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good idea, Fred.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.