ad: TIDrad-1

Weird voices on 20 meter

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by OZ1THB, Oct 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OZ1THB

OZ1THB QRZ Member

Hi this is my first post here, and im very new in this fantastic hobby.

I have d and b licens and i have bought a used yaesu ft-920. I have an endfed 20 meter 4 meter over ground with a 9:1 balun.

I have been listening for a couple of weeks now (all ssb), and i have made 10 qsos, very fun.

But now i have for a couple of days, only been able to hear garble on 20 meter, like all voices are in a differenet modulation or something like that.

Can any of you experienced hams give me a pointer? I have recorded it, and will see if i can upload it.
    (rename file extension to m4a)

Thank you
    Regards
    Thomas
    OZ1THB

Attached Files:

2. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is just a guess but make sure your mode selection is on USB, not LSB or AM/FM. Upper sideband is the prefered mode on the bands higher then 10MHz and Lower sideband is mostly used on all the bands below 10MHz. The exception here in the USA is the 60 meter band, which is USB for voice.
    The problem you've encountered is not unusual.

Hope this helps
    Gary

K2CAJ, W0XA, AK5B and 4 others like this.
  3. OZ1THB

OZ1THB QRZ Member

Hi Gary

It was a good guess. I thought i was aware of usb and lsb, but i found out that if i press twice on my 14mhz button it also switch between usb/lsb.

Rookie mistake!

Today on 20 pretty good signals here in Denmark.

Thanks for your help.

Thomas

W9FL, KD2TUD, K2CAJ and 2 others like this.
  4. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have a 920, but on many rigs, when you press a band button repeatedly, it toggles between two (or more) memories called "band stack registers". Each one usually saves its settings, so one might be CW and the other USSB, LSSB, AM, FM, etc... In any case, you should be able to change the mode for each of the band stack registers to what you want it to be.

5. OZ1THB

OZ1THB QRZ Member

Yep got it. Thank you.

Thomas

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes groups on SSB will decide to use the "other" sideband from the usual one, sometimes I run across one and they are totally garbled until I figured out to try the other SB ~~:rolleyes:

7. N8RKD

N8RKD Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a group near me on 75M that does exactly that to avoid interfering with another nearby net. As far as I know, there are no hard and fast rules regarding which sideband is used, only custom and convention