Weird transformer

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W8TMT, Nov 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W8TMT

W8TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Picked this up at a hamfest Sunday thinking it might be useful for a small tube project. The heater leads are red and the highest voltage leads (70v) are green, not following the usual color code I'm used to seeing. Any ideas on this or what it might have come from?

Attached Files:

2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

A hamfest?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K1OIK and KK6IYM like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There isn't any "standard" for OEM transformers; the transformer maker color codes leads however the OEM requested them be colored.

Also, in low voltage transformers not having any high voltage windings, "red" can really mean anything. I admit it would be unusual for a multi-winding transformer with an HV winding to use red for anything other than the HV; but 70V isn't HV.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom is correct, Because you said so. :D

Looks like a filament transformer. What size is it ?

What are those numbers on it ?

5. KJ4YEV

KJ4YEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember those old TV antenna rotators (ChannelMaster?) that had a controller that clicked as it went to it's programmed destination? They used a transformer similar to that.

6. W8TMT

W8TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

At the risk of hijacking my own thread ….

A "hamfest" is a gathering of "people" (used loosely) who are interested in amateur radio and electronics, sometimes including their spouses, otherwise significant others, offspring, and groupies. Nerdiness and corny inside humor abounds at these events. People have been observed at these wearing Star Trek uniforms, carrying portable communications equipment, and even wearing hardhats with antennae protruding out the top. No ham is actually consumed however coffee and donuts are brought in by the semi load.

Nearly all attendees sport facial hair, hats of some kind, a name badge of some kind, and have BMI's at least 20% above the normal population, even the females. These by the way, will be in short supply. The gender ratio is often 300:1 male to female, or even greater.

The number of these events and attendance figures probably peaked in the 1980's. There are still plenty taking place however, and as with any fringe group gathering, they should be avoided by the general population. Before entering any outdoor venue, particularly on a Sunday, cruise the parking lot. If a large amount of the vehicles have 3 or more antennae, head for the exit!

K1OIK, W7UUU, N5JLD and 1 other person like this.
  7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

The voltages indicated could be used for a solid state audio amp, but the mounting method with those three studs suggests something more rugged than that.

8. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

...as well as body odor, mobility scooters, a very dirty foam trucker's hat with their call sign on it, and at least one half-full catheter bag strapped to a bare calf.

9. N5JLD

N5JLD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You forgot, Kilt's, very long unkempt hair, Roller Milk Crate, Strange stuffed Animals, and sometimes tails. (these could be OEM or the add on variety)

Tip of the day - "Always make sure you wear enough Deodorant for you and the guy you will be talking to". Trust me, you'll thank me later.......

G6YYN likes this.
  10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I know who you are referring to, other than the tail. You must have seen that at a hamfest I missed.