Weird Stuff

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K9AAN, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. VA3CQC

VA3CQC Ham Member QRZ Page

2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

No, it's not the guy with the STA and spread-spectrum stuff. There's only four of us, and none were on at that time.

It's interference. Probably from something that kicked on nearby or a station out-of-whack at the moment, or conditions, or hell, blame it on Obama!

I certainly wouldn't worry about it. There's probably little you can do anyway unless it's ever-present.

3. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

The carrier doesn't have to be visible in that tiny 2k waterfall. Harmonics way away from the originating source is common. And it's not a "mode" you're seeing. More likely "splatter" or RFI.

4. K9AAN

K9AAN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If it is caused by individual tones amplitude modulating a carrier and the individual tones can be seen, the carrier would be seen also. 95% efficient furnaces could be possible. I don't have one but a neighbor works for an HVAC company so he might have one.

Splatter is composed of sine waves so that could be possible IF they would stay still. Splatter sine waves don't move around. And, of course it's RFI. Anything that is RF and interferes with another signal is RFI.

But thanks for the brainstorming guys.

Hey! Maybe they are related to that unidentified light in the sky over Phoenix or the Clintonville, Wisconsin boomers.

5. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow that is pretty wild. I have never seen that on the waterfall. I spend hours on the JT65 frequencies.

I doubt it would be AM, no one would operate AM on that frequency on 15 meters.

I constantly hear SSB signals on 7.076 when operating after supper time here. Normally those are Spanish stations, the odd time it could be VE stations. They operate just above 7.076 but do not cause that pattern on the waterfall, nor do they really interfere much with incoming JT65 signals.

Here is a jpeg of my waterfall while listening to SSB on 75 meters this morning. Nothing close to what you are experiencing!

SSB.jpg

6. K9AAN

K9AAN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"
    I constantly hear SSB signals on 7.076 when operating after supper time here. Normally those are Spanish stations, the odd time it could be VE stations. They operate just above 7.076 but do not cause that pattern on the waterfall, nor do they really interfere much with incoming JT65 signals."

That brings up a good question...On another amateur web site, somebody said that Mexican drug cartels are using ham radios for their communications. Since I don't speak Spanish, I can't listen in to their "QSOs" to tell if that is what is going on. Could somebody who does speak Spanish let me know.

If they are drug dealers, perhaps some signals they send are creating those weird displays.

73, John

7. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like dissipating spasmodic copulation mode from North Korea to me, but i'm no expert !

8. KH2G

KH2G Guest

It would be interesting to check the solar flare info for the date/time you were getting that. Some of that energy getting into the system could give some pretty strange results. Other than that I might vote for a drifty oscillator but think it not likely.
    Regards
    Dick KH2G

9. G4SKO

G4SKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Piccolo tone carriers being tested? Just a guess of course.

10. WA4MIT

WA4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am seeing very similar here is thread I started did not know about yours, I am in Alabama I found by turning beam south towards some businesses it is stronger. At times it starts from a single point in spectrum but there is nothing before it starts just like a star burst pattern then reverses toward a single point at end ... Weird . At first I thought it was something someone had created using the video portion of HRD where they add the 73 and such sort of like a fireworks display but do not think that is what this is. http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?349525-Can-anyone-identify-this-signal. 73 Morris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.