ad: k1jek

Weird Stuff

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K9AAN, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K9AAN

K9AAN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

See the attached jpeg image file below.

I have been noticing stuff like this while using JT65-HF for quite some time. This time I got a real good PRINT SCRN image of it. So far, I've asked the folks at QST and CQ and K1JT. I have emails into the Engineering Dept at the University of Illinois at Chicago (my Alma Mater) and W6CAZ that haven't been answered yet. BTW, I do have other PRINT SCRN images from other occurances but this is the best.

So far, nobody has any idea about what it is or how it's made except we are all pretty sure it is not intentionally man-made.

What the heck is it and how is it done?

Attached Files:

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd say it's a fireworks display. :)

3. K9AAN

It is possible. The Kentucky Derby is fast approaching and here in Louisville, we celebrate it for two weeks before the event. To start off the celebration, we have what used to be known as the largest fireworks show in the nation. [Might still be, I haven't checked.] People came from all over the world to see it.

It might be that the Deby Festival Committee has found a new way to put on fireworks for the Derby.

John, K9AAN, Louisville KY

PS: Andrew, any relationship to the painting family? [Portraits, that is, not barns.]

4. K9AAN

A weird thought just occurred to me. Stephen Hawking (the one of physics fame) says that empty space will sometimes generate a subatomic particle and it's anti-particle. They will attract each other shortly after forming, collide and anihilate each other. Could that waterfall display indicate the RF energy of a pairs mutual destruction?

John

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your receiver has become a giant EMF detector. Call Ghost Hunters right away...

6. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this a CRT monitor?

7. K9AAN

Nope. Flat screen. Not likely that the display has anything to do with it since the posted image is a PRT SCR (print screen). Such an image gets its information from the data in the computer and not on the monitor memory or screen.

8. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Looks like your receiver has hither-and-yon drift.

Bill

9. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Been using JT65 a while and seem some odd traces on rare occasion but nothing like that!

10. N9DVS

N9DVS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, Like those SSB guys on 7076 the other night! - Makes interesting patterns on the waterfall display - Nothing like the OP saw though.

BTW, VTH, good to work you via JT-65 on 40m last nite.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.