Weird Signal Drop Into England on Six Meters

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K2WH, Jun 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Working 6 meters this morning and the band from my location in NNJ, was open "Only" into England.

Look at the image, and with the hundreds of other "Monitors" outside England, only England and Wales were copying my signal as though my signal needed a passport to go over the border into another country. :p

Untitled.jpg

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Takes at least two, and likely three, Sporadic-E hops to get there and although your experience may be different, I've often found Es is highly selective -- almost to the point of making a difference which part of town you're in.:p

G8HGN, WA9SVD and KD0CAC like this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That happens!

4. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've experienced that also but only on a 2 meter E-skip event, very selective where I could hear people just south of me working 2 meter E-skip and I could not hear them at all.

BTW, in case you didn't know, I got my IC-9700 up and running and will see if I can start a 2 meter AM net.

5. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Except for " that how it works ;) , seems you are just giving an example of this .

Not to really stir the pot , kinda seems like your asking why propagation is picking on you ;)

At least you made the contacts .

6. WB2WIK

That would be really cool.

There aren't any around me that I know of.

An announcement like DRAG THAT OLD TWOER OR WHATEVER YOU HAD OUT OF THE CLOSET AND DUST IT OFF! NEW TWO METER AM NET FORMING... might actually work.:)

K2WH likes this.
  7. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

This is from the frequency AM list from the AM Window web site: http://www.amwindow.org/freq.htm
    This is the 2 meter "calling frequency" "meeting place" AM list:
    2 Meters: 144.4 (Northwest)
    144.425 (Massachusetts)
    144.28 (NYC-Long Island)
    144.45 (California)
    144.265 (Los Angeles, CA)
    Don't recall when it was put together, but I think most of the people that gathered on 144.28 have gone to the great beyond or have just moved on.

There was a discussion on AMfone some time ago with an ARRL tech person (who works a lot of AM) to put a proposal together to identify a 2 meter AM "calling frequency". Not sure if that ever went anywhere. But, it would be advisable, especially in the metro areas, to stay out of the digital and FM arenas. The SSB chunk is generally from 144.200 to 144.275 MHz. The proposal was to label roughly 144.270 MHz as the AM calling frequency.
    You can review the ARRL 2 meter band plan here: http://www.arrl.org/band-plan

My last 2 meter AM QSO, was roughly 10 years ago with "Vortex Joe", N3IBX. He was running s Polytronics 2 meter transceiver and I was running a Clegg 22'er. We drifted all around 144.260 Mhz during the QSO, :)

8. WA2CWA

I was told that several NJ stations worked into Japan yesterday late afternoon on FT8.

9. WB2WIK

Two rigs both made in New Jersey!

10. WA2CWA

And to add to the NJ connection, I had the pleasure of meeting both men who ran both respective companies.
    Wow! I really must be older then dirt. :)