ad: MLSons-1

Weird result

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by NL7XM, Mar 14, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. NL7XM

NL7XM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I find it almost inconceivable that a simple search for W4BT will yield no results and my device crashes each time I attempt it.

A “W” 1x2 call cannot have no history, especially no recent history. This is a desirable vanity call. What gives?

2. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From AE7Q dot com:
    "W4BT is c - canceled, but is not yet available"

3. NL7XM

I know that, but QRZ should still have that information. It was only cancelled a month ago.
    It’s like it was purged.
    And why does my OS crash when searching it?
    Something “special” going on here, but what?

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Let me look into this and see if I can figure out what's up. I can assure it's "nothing special"

Dave
    W7UUU

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

He's not talking about ULS. He's talking about the QRZ lookup. Obviously they are not the same thing.

I'm still researching this and will report back when I have an answer

Dave
    W7UUU

6. W7UUU

Hi Pete,

Turns out there are in fact a lot of deleted call signs in the QRZ database simply because the holder of the call for whatever reason let it lapse. In some cases, the call has been requested to be deleted from the database when the holder lets it lapse so that his data is purged. So that's all it is. W4BT is one of those - canceled and not yet in the pool for someone to claim in the vanity program. But there is nothing sinister or sneaky or mysterious on the QRZ end - the call has just been taken out of the database because of any number of simple reasons until it gets reassigned.

Yes, the call has "history" but QRZ doesn't keep a record of the history of every call sign. What would be the point for QRZ? That's all in the FCC record but someone's QRZ history is not relevant after someone no longer has the call so it all gets purged.

However it would NOT cause anyone search to crash. That would have to be something on your browser end of things. There's nothing here to find so no result will be returned - end of search.

Hope this helps

Dave
    W7UUU

7. K5YDD

K5YDD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is the history for W4BT going back to 1987:

https://www.ae7q.com/query/data/CallHistory.php?CALL=w4bt

8. NL7XM

Thanks, Dave. I never thought someone could request their information be removed from QRZ. Never encountered one before.
    I’ve been using it so long, it’s easy to forget it’s privately owned and not an Official site, hi!
    (That’s a compliment, BTW.)
    Carry on.

W7UUU likes this.
  9. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, what about their QSO logs?

What about my logs, what does it show for QSOs with deleted calls?