Weird ISS Propagation

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KF6BL, Oct 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF6BL

KF6BL Ham Member QRZ Page

For the last couple of weeks, I have been able to hear and work NA1SS. But what is strange is after the ISS passes my QTH, I cannot hear it anymore. As if they are using an antenna that just propagates in the direction of travel. Makes no difference which direction they pass me. After they pass me, signal completely gone.

Any idea why? I read somewhere that there would be limited coverage due to space craft coming and going to the ISS. Just curious.

Thanks in advance

KG4AKV likes this.
  2. KG4AKV

KG4AKV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, it's probably a visiting vehicle, or some other structure, in between you and the ARISS antenna.

KS1G likes this.
  3. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

ARISS antenna is a 1/4 wave whip with ground plane on the Earth-facing side of one of the lab modules. Most of the time it should have an unobstructed view. Possible at times that station orientation orients the antenna so some portion of the station structure is blocking the signal. When there is a docking, undocking, or spacewalk, the ARISS equipment is OFF.

KG4AKV likes this.
  4. KF6BL

KF6BL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I am aware of the on/off status. But it was just funny that as the ISS passes me, no more signal received on the halfwave vertical dipole. You could very well be correct that the orientation of the antenna/station is what is happening. Right now I know the radio to be off for a day or so. But was not totally aware that the ISS actually moves (other than in its orbital path) or possibly rotates in some fashion. Thanks.