Weird CW Call in Russia

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AI4RA, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:00 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. AI4RA

AI4RA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I listened to a Kiwi SDR shortwave receiver in Novosibirsk, Russia over the internet on 3.643 Mhz on 80M at about 2143 UTC today (12/6/17) and heard the following CW string transmitted repeatedly, over and over again, nonstop at a pretty high rate. I would estimate it was being sent at least 30 wpm, which is really past the limit of my CW copy ability but I eventually got it after listening to it for a few minutes, since the same string was repeated over and over again.

V DKG6 DKG6 DKG6 DE 3A7D 3A7D

Do any of you have any clue what this might be? These don't seem to be legitimate ham calls (I thought 3A7D might be but it doesn't show up on the QRZ database) and yet they show up on the 80M ham band. Maybe it's a weird numbers station or something?

In case any of you don't know, you can listen on various shortwave receivers all over the world at this link. Pretty cool!

http://sdr.hu/?q=kiwisdr

Raf

2. KD8ZMN

KD8ZMN Ham Member QRZ Page

The message looks like a "numbers station".

BTW: Thanks for the sdr.hu link! I am familiar with another one: SDR.ORG. This one has a different set of receivers. I use SDR's to monitor HF nets where I participate. They allow me to hear stations that I cannot otherwise.

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I wasn't aware of that sdr batch. Thanks for that!

Otherwise, no clue, sorry.

4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Really nice link, but I can't find a regular knob to tune around with...it all seems digital controls? Maybe I'm just not finding the option?

5. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a lot of Russian HF military traffic, especially on the lower part of HF. That message format looks similar to those posted on HF Utility forums.

N7ZAL likes this.
  6. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

N7ZAL likes this.
  7. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

8. AI4RA

AI4RA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks guys for the info! W9AFB and KM4SII, thanks for the links to the M89 Chinese military station. That must have been it, and obviously they know how to put a decent signal into the middle of Russia.

It’s amazing that numbers stations are still used by political and other entities all over the world even today. As a kid I used to listen to Spanish numbers stations (probably from Cuba and Central America, during the late ‘70’s). Fascinating stuff.

N7ZAL, you simply point and click to the frequency you want the slider to go to and it will go there. The roller wheel on your mouse will allow you to zoom in or out to a narrower or wider bandwidth. You’ll figure it out after playing with it a bit.

9. N7ZAL

Yeah, I did understand all that but the interface just needed a better method of tuning...for me. However as it is does work fine and it is a nice link.

Thanks.

10. N7ZAL

A numbers station usually correlates to a "one time pad" which is secure and can't be broken under normal conditions. Very secure and very simple. :)