ad: UR5CDX-1

WebSDR with FT8 decoding

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by M0AGP, May 1, 2021 at 12:58 AM.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

Are there webSDRs that decode FT8? Before I bought a rig and jumped back into the hobby in December I did some CW practice using the webSDRs. I was always wondering who was on the FT8 section. It would be interesting to see how you are actually being decoded vs "the crowd" on a webSDR in some distant country.

Do these already exist, but I haven't found them?

I expect there is a way to route the PC audio into an instance of WSJT-X...

2. K0KQ

K0KQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't know of any webSDRs that will decode FT8, however there is a work-around.

With VAC you can internally route the audio from webSDR to WSJT-X. Works great!

https://vac.muzychenko.net/en/

Dave

M0AGP likes this.
  3. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had no problem using WSJT-X Version ... with WebSDR. On one of my computers I can electronically patch the audio from WebSDR to WSJT-X. On another computer, I have to use a cable to connect the headphone or speaker output to the microphone or line input.

It just takes some frustration and reboots or other minim al changes to get your WebSDR audio to the input to WSJT-X.

But, over several version updates, I've had few issues decoding FT8 using Windows or Linux using WSJT-X. I've even been able to use Windows version of WSJT-X through WINE in Linux.

It can be very frustrating finding the correct key.

If you enjoy history of the Roman/Greek days, Google "Portunus".

Good luck,
    Ken

M0AGP likes this.
  4. M0AGP

I guess I am being greedy - I'd like to have my instance of JTDX running hooked to my rig, and look on a web page where someone else has it (or WSJT-X) running on a websdr website... Surely this must exist out there. Maybe such a thing would entice would-be hams to try out the hobby?

Last edited: May 1, 2021 at 11:12 AM
  5. KE0VUL

KE0VUL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got Openwebrx running with a Airspy HF+. This does let you decode FT8 ect even in the background on the lower portion of the band while listening to SSB on the upper portion. https://www.openwebrx.de/
    Listening can be a lot of fun, got to get ADSB up again...

M0AGP likes this.
  6. KI5ONL

KI5ONL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

many ways

If your using chrome, there is an extension called "AudioPick". It works with virtual audio devices. Thats the simple way. I dont know how proficient you are with windows. There is also this -- https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

I use Linux most of the time. I only know what others have been using. Hope that could be of some help. I do quite a bit of work with Web-SDRs.

W7UUU and M0AGP like this.
  7. KI5ONL

That is one of the reason why I returned. Another is a bit more legal leeway over the antennas I can install. I would estimate there are at least 100 people monitoring the bands for every ham transmitting on them.

8. M0AGP

Another reason why it would ideally be on an external web page: working DX.

In a classic CW or SSB pile-up, you can listen to who is getting chosen by the DX station. Sometimes the DX station is going in increasing frequency, sometimes going to the highest or lowest frequency in the pile-up. This info is extremely helpful when you want them to pick you!

However, in digital modes, you can’t see where the DX station is listening very easily because you are transmitting in hopes they pick you. As you are transmitting, you can’t see where everybody was calling the guy in terms of “offset frequency”.

But, if you were able to watch where the others were transmitting while you were transmitting, this info would give you an edge as explained above.

Therefore as any receiver at your QTH would be overloaded when you are transmitting, you need to have an external website to show you the crowd of guys transmitting.

This would be especially helpful in Fox/Hound mode on FT8!

KI5ONL likes this.
  9. KI5ONL

On a side note. I once heard a contest station calling CQ from Romania on 40 meters using an SDR in the Netherlands. I switched to same frequency on an SDR in Washington DC and he had a much better signal there. Your on to something interesting...