webSDR config settings

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by GJ6WRI, Sep 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
  1. GJ6WRI

GJ6WRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello radio friends.
    I have been trying to set up webSDR on a Ubuntu PC clean installation, but I am struggling to get the RTL Dongle to be identified by the server software. The dongle is attached to the PC via an onboard USB connector.
    Where I get confused is how does the software know which USB accessory to use, and how do I find out what the settings are for that particular USB socket? I have seen mention of 'device $hw 0,0,0' and also 'device 127.0.0.1:xxxx' How do I find out the number to replace the xxxx in the localhost address.
    If I type rtl_test, I get the description and serial number of the device along with some gain settings that can be used.
    When I access the Ubuntu computer via the webSDR interface, I just get white noise, and no signals are displayed on the spectrum display.
    This is doing my head in! I'm trying to learn new aspects of this wonderful hobby of ours, but I've come to an abrupt halt!
    Any advice appreciated.
    Stevie. GJ6WRI

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

xxxx is the I/O port number. I think 8901 or 8100 is default.

Good Luck.

3. GJ6WRI

I think I have progressed a little further. I am now looking for the settings to get the FunCube dongle to be the device running on the server.
    Going through some more reading....trial & ERROR!

KA9JLM likes this.
  4. GJ6WRI

My RTL dongles are now working, but due to some local very strong signals they are next to useless. If not el cheapo RTLSDR, what have you got plugged in please?

So. My Fun Cube Pro + is the next device inline to frustrate me. Can any of you point me in the right direction to address the device in the config file.

Secondly, are any of you using devices with high bandwidths, say 6MHz or more? I’m curious to know what you use.

Slowly, my frustration is becoming satisfaction. There may well be a light at the end of the tunnel, but I’ll be dammed if I can see it!!!

73 & thank you.

5. NY4Q

NY4Q Ham Member QRZ Page

6. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

The new Airspy HF+ Discovery is probably the best of the lower cost SDRs available for handling crowded bands.

Most of the WebSDR stations seem to be using the KiwiSDR unit. Covers the entire HF band at once and is a self contained device usually on a BeagleBone Linux computer.

regards, Roy

7. GJ6WRI

Thanks Roy. I’ll take your advice and consider the Airspy. I’m happy to keep things like this on my Linux server.......to many single board pcs scattered around the house as it is!
    Steve GJ6WRI

8. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think you will be disappointed by the Airspy Discovery. Simon Brown, the author of SDR Console, considers it on par with the multi-thousand dollar SDRs for use in crowded band conditions.

regards, Roy

9. GJ6WRI

Roy.
    I have used Simons’ software in the past, and still do. One word. Excellent. I knew the day would come that my shack heaters would be replaced with transistors. Actually, transistors with heat syncs the size of a decent valve

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019