ad: elecraft

Weather Satellite Script Help (Raspbian)

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K3RLD, May 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. K4DQP

K4DQP Ham Member QRZ Page

VNC viewer. I am really just using PuTTy to remote into the command line of RPI3. I also like WinSPC to access more of a GUI for moving files around. OS on PC is Windows 10.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well there are many versions. Do you have these options ?

upload_2020-8-26_13-21-38.png

3. K4DQP

KA2CZU likes this.
  4. K4DQP

5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

if you follow down a post or 2, I resolved the issue with a change in the pi settings.

I'm using VNC Viewer (6.18.blabblahblah) on a win10 laptop (in this case, though I also use a VNC app on an ipad)

KA9JLM likes this.
  6. KA2CZU

I'm eventually going to make a new antenna, as my groundplane has too many dead spots in passes.

That said, yesterday I gave up trying to use the RSP1/CubicSDR/wxtoimg or noaa-apt solution (manually) and
    did a straight pull of raspberry-noaa, which is a nice git repository which has pulled all the rtlsdr scripts in an
    easy to use "plug and play" solution.

https://github.com/reynico/raspberry-noaa/blob/master/INSTALL.md

it was literally 5 steps:

cd $HOME
    git clone https://github.com/reynico/raspberry-noaa.git
    cd raspberry-noaa
    ./install.sh

and then change some directory permissions to allow the scripts to create the image/audio directories.
    Plugged in my rtl-sdr+fm filter and let it run.
    Not perfect images by any stretch, but a lot better than the other attempts I've been doing.

NOAA1820200828-023004-MCIR.jpg

WE4B and K3RLD like this.
  7. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Aw, my house is obscured by one of those dead spots!

KA2CZU likes this.
  8. KA2CZU

LOL, it will depend on the pass of course.

Weird the RSP1/CubicSDR was getting the signal fine, but something about the sampling rate and other parameters from CubicSDR and I could not get a decently decoded picture. The waterfall, S/N visually all showed the sat signal in there plenty strong. I tried some different attempts using audacity to fiddle with sample rates and that made a difference but not enough. I tried using RSP1 -> pulse -> wxtoimg direct, and that was a bust.

So, back to the plug-and-play basic rtl_sdr dongle + scripts. Maybe someday I’ll have enough bandwidth, desire, and hopefully retain enough wits to dig into the SDR (and associated decode) world deeper.

9. KA2CZU

got you on this mid-day 35 degree pass

NOAA18-20200828-1145EDT.jpg

10. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I zoomed in and cropped PA.... there's my house! Incredible!

ka2czu.jpg

WE4B, KA2CZU and WD9EWK like this.