Weather Satellite Script Help (Raspbian)

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K3RLD, May 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

*answer my own question*

2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Incidentally, I also messed around with adding "indicators" while passes were running. Another operator turned me onto the Pimoroni Scroll pHAT. It makes it pretty seamless to add a scrolling marquee style message while scripts are running. There are pre-coded python modules that you can execute and terminate via shell scripts (or python) so adding the indicators to existing scripts is practically effortless.

3. KA2CZU

Have a sort of related question for those who VNC into a pi:

Downloaded wxtoimg (but this is an issue with other gui programs as well on the pi via VNC) and it has a font that exceeds the resolution/geography of the window
    I have when connecting via VNC. So, specifically the set location option, requires you to click "ok" in order to set a new lat/long.

However, the window exceeds the visible geography and I cannot click on the OK button, and hitting RETURN or anything else does not seem to work (tries
    this on another instance of wxtoimg on my laptop)

So, for a VNC connection: is there a way/setting somewhere to setup VNC "screen size" and/or "resolution" to be some other dimension (than whatever it or the rpi defaults to)?
    I can change the default font on the pi, and resolution, but that does not affect wxtoimg, nor does it change the overall screen geography as VNC sees it (if that makes sense, I'm not and never have been a GUI programmer/designer, so probably off on the correct terminology) . Is there some setting in wxtoimg to change it's own default font
    screen size? I haven't found it yet.

And of course, I realize most of you probably just use a non-gui instance of wxtoimg on the pi, which I'll get around to doing, but this question
    has been bugging me for anything related to the VNC connection to the pi, not just for wxtoimg.

4. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious as to why changing the resolution on the pi has no affect on wxtoimg. I've never tried it, though.

5. K4DQP

K4DQP Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure if this helps, but when setting up a new pi, I sometimes just connect to my monitor. It's just easier that way. Also in VNC application, pc side, there is a setting which sets the resolution. I don't know if this helps as I set the pi up that catches these satellite passes as 'headless'.

6. KA2CZU

yeah, me too!

There is something with VNC connector that just acts weird w.r.t. what I would call the apparent-resolution. And in particular I cannot
    resize/ change the font/resolution or whatever that will bring that window's OK button into view.

I have 2 rpi's setup, the one I'm dealing with "headless"... connecting through VNC. The other has a small

It's just inconvenient to have a monitor (anything bigger than the 10" pi-monitor I have on the rpi3) connected due to the physical location of my "shack".

I do have to reorganize "soon" (meaning in the fall or winter) and perhaps could fit in a monitor or perhaps allow quick change between the rpi3 (used primarily for FT8 + IC706) and rpi4 (which is running the wx sat SDR+software)

7. KA2CZU

Geez, answered my own question. Sort of.

I don't know how both VNC and Pi interact completely but I had only been looking at start->Appearance settings, not under start->pi configuration

Under that menu is the list of supported screen resolutions and picking a higher resolution did the trick.

K3RLD, WD9EWK and WE4B like this.
  8. K4DQP

K4DQP Ham Member QRZ Page

Got this beautiful pic of Hurricane Laura this morning...8.26.2020

upload_2020-8-26_11-3-35.png

K9CPO, KC9ONY, K3RLD and 3 others like this.
  9. KA2CZU

Outstanding... what antenna are you using again?

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

What VNC software are you using ? RPi and PC. What OS is your PC ?