ad: M2Ant-1

Weak station heard on 14.055 tonight

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W9YAP, Sep 19, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W9YAP

W9YAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am still trying to get my copy speed up on CW, as well as trying to listen, listen, listen and pull in weak signals. Lately, I feel like I have been listening a lot more through QRN and QSB sigs.

So tonight on 14.055 around 01:40 (9/12/16) I had been listening to a station for about 10 minutes, and through QSB and the occasional station providing some maddening tune up QRM, I was able to pull the following out of the signal:
    CQ CQ CQ XPOTEST DE JF6NBB TEST
    This was repetitive (like a beacon).

Unfortunately, I cannot find a JF6NBB, EOF6NBB, JIN6NBB in any data base. I don't contest but I expect this is a contest or club call, but I cannot find anything about the call sign.
    I am confident that I have the call correct, but I am really dumbfounded.

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in Japan and can't even find out what the XPO contest is about! I heard a few guys on 20 meters but 40 CW was absolutely jammed with XPO contesters. It must have been a short contest because they're all gone now.

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

5. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Steve, I searched "Japan XPO CW contest" I think... but now I just tried it again and got different results! Weird... maybe I don't recall correctly? :eek:

7. W9YAP

W9YAP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool, I haven't done any DX work but I'm happy to know that I could hear the station and it appears that I heard it correctly.
    It was floating between an S2 to S3, but it was fun to try to hear them (sans the QRM). I was dealing mostly with QSB.