we need a good kids contest

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB1NYQ, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

Calvin was saying get the system working and running full speed, then consider whether you really need an amp.

BTU

2. K0DXC

K0DXC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm saying that you shouldn't transmit full power with a simple vertical or dipole. Not smart, RF hazards. Do you ever perform RF evaluations? I read in a book that it's not wise to run an amp UNLESS you are using a directional antenna at least 60 feet in the air.

stick with the plans for the antenna, run the amp, and DON"T cheat in the NAQP's, not cool.

:p

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  3. K0DXC

thank you

(post to short)

4. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

Yeah, I hate the post limit too.

Some of my best material is only a few letters :p

Now I have to extend it.

5. K0DXC

question, why did you down your post count? (UM)

6. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

I didn't.

I don't why it happened.

Ask an editor.
    I am a moderator.

I can't edit.
    Only moderate.

7. K0DXC

What material? :confused:

:D

8. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Want to make a couple comments/corrections here....

#1 Linear amplifiers do not have to cost thousands of dollars. You can buy a Heathkit SB200 for less than $350 if you look in the right place. They will give you up to 750 or 800 watts on fresh tubes. 800 watts = 9 dB which is significant gain over 100 watts.

#2 Linears can make a difference between being in QRM and being audible - especially on the low bands. While antennas certainly help, a linear does not hurt. Remember, even though you hear a station, there is no guarantee that they can hear you. The linear gives you added edge.

#3 As others have stated, linears are not a crutch for bad operating practices. If you are a moron LID who doesn't listen to a DX station or to a contest station, does not learn advanced operating techniques, etc., you're going to spent a lot more time in pileups than you want to spend.

9. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an amp before I had a beam antenna.

It made a difference, but the antenna made more of a difference.

If you have money to spend, spend it on the antenna first, then think about an amp.

But if you have an amp already, there's nothing wrong with using it with a wire antenna, as long as YOU are not close to the antenna when transmitting.

10. K0DXC

The problem is that so many new ops who go straight to the amps are like that. They don't know when to listen and when to transmit, they need experience.

anyways, I'm not saying amps are bad, I'm saying get experience before you get one and wait until you have a good antenna.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.