ad: Flexradio-1

We May Have Just Solved the Mystery of 11 Year Long Solar Cycles

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC8FRJ, Aug 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I posted this a while ago in a similar thread.

This hypothesis has been around for quite a while!

This paper was published by NASA in July 2007

http://www.warwickhughes.com/agri/Apparent Relations between Solar Activity and Solar Tides Ching-Cheh Hung.pdf

2. AF4RK

AF4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually this is not at all the same except for the connection of tidal forces to sunspots. there is no description of a causal mechanism. If you will re-read both articles again, (i used find search for taylor) you will find that your article is a proposal of a COINCIDENTAL relationship with no explanation of why it would occur, as other commentators have suggested is an inadequate hypothesis, and they are correct. Perhaps this was a precursor of the current article on the Taylor instability. I am eagerly awaiting the peer review of the article. There are steps to take an hypothesis to a theory. Most people think that theory refers to a guess. May I remind everyone that Einstein's theory produced the atomic bomb. That was not a guess.
    Thanks for your intelligent comment.
    AF4RK

3. AF4RK

deleted typos

4. AF4RK

thanks for an intelligent comment
    AF4RK

5. K5UY

K5UY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, it's ok to be a ham and diluted too. A whole generation of Spin-masters where the facts mean nothing. Everyone is a genius now.

K0UO likes this.
  6. WA6DB

WA6DB Ham Member QRZ Page

none of my bussines !!!! but u have to admit that it does make sence;):rolleyes:

7. RZ1O

RZ1O Ham Member QRZ Page

How long have the planets been parading in a row? Does this roughly correspond to the period of maximum solar activity? Or do their parade in a row just give a start the Sun? Generally, what else can affect the Sun in this black space except planets!!! )) Looks truelly.

8. KC9YGN

KC9YGN QRZ Lifetime Member #750 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nothing new here, really. The idea goes back to at least 1969 in the Journal of the British Astronomical Association "Planetary Influences on Sunspots" by G.A.J. Ferris, and it was an old idea even then, as mentioned in that article. It's an idea that seems to pop up periodically. I've seen references to it in the literature in 2016, 2009, 2007, 2004, and 1969 and, as noted, it goes back farther than that.

9. AF4RK

Again, no causal mechanism, just the co-incidence.

10. AF4RK

I am curious as to why, when it seems most people here complain that this is "just a co-incidence", do they then ignore the new developments in the latest paper describing the mechanism that CAUSES these two activities to be related? there is a famous test that requires people to make various marks on a paper after first requiring that they read the entire document, then at the very end, they are informed to NOT MAKE ANY MARKS!
    Do the homework, read the WHOLE document.
    AF4RK

11. KC9YGN

KC9YGN QRZ Lifetime Member #750 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You tell people to "read the article" but then neglect to tell them that if they want to actually read it, they'll find out that the link you've provided is an abstract only and if they actually want to read it they'll have to pay $39.95, which almost no one here is going to bother doing because, frankly, we don't really care all that much.

12. KC1DR

KC1DR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry Dave.......I can't do that.

13. NR0X

NR0X Ham Member QRZ Page

What if I'm a Virgo? Does that affect my propagation?;)

14. KC1DR

KC1DR Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely! You should mount your vertical upside down for correct propagation.