ad: w5yi

We lost a co-sponsor on ARPA

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KU0O, Dec 22, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2KSP

WB2KSP Ham Member QRZ Page

But in more than a few HOA's owning a transmitter is illegal. Don't tell me you's want to to break a legal contract and NO ONE and I mean NO ONE has mentioned erecting a 70 foot tower in a residential neighborhood where homes are less than one hundred feet apart. Only those who don't want hams to have antennas are suggesting that we will all build 100 foot towers with beams and wires hanging off of them as they sway in the wind nearly hitting a neighbors house and the children, lets not leave out the children as every day those thousands of poorly constructed towers do fall and destroy the other homes on the street. Lest we forget the fact that now neighborhood residents can decide how we live and maybe even who we have over our home because every one must pass a test to see if their appearance meets neighborhood standards. To paraphrase a Freudian term, are some of you suffering from "tower envy" but really afraid to admit it? Do we still live in America or did I miss something? Next patient!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    N2EY likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny you mention lot sizes, setback and safety. I think safety is very important.

Here in L.A., where a 1/4-acre vacant lot (no house, nothing on it -- dirt) can easily cost $250K, there is no setback requirement for amateur radio towers. You can have a 70' tower right up against your property fence, if you wanted to do that.

It would have to have a permit and a safety inspection, though.

Lots of gorgeous, elegant, and very expensive neighborhoods are included in this.:)

I love L.A.:p

N2EY likes this.
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm,
    And that would be a great improvement.

I spent 14 years in an outside antenna prohibited HOA and had attic antennas. Yes, they worked and I had fun with them, but noise level was high and finding and eliminating horrid RFI to everything in the house was a long and frustrating process.

I would have been absolutely thrilled to have a simple wire antenna or two outside and further away from noise sources and the wiring in the house. That would have been far superior to the attic antenna. Not to mention being able to have a full size dipole without folding for 40m.

4. WB2WIK

Just the wrong place in Colorado.

AA7XT is building a world-class M/M contest station (again! about his fourth one...I remember the one he had here in Malibu, with 5 towers at the top of the highest ridge in the Santa Monica Mountains, holy cow...) in CO. Evidently, with enough money you can do "anything.":)

N2EY likes this.
  5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

And some wonder why this thread degenerated...
    The irony is jaw-dropping. Much preferable if hams living elsewhere make that decision as they are far more 'reasonable' as seen here. After all, we are incapable of making decisions or changes. Or as one rather infamous frequent poster here stated, we are "stupid and brainwashed".

WA7PRC and K4JDH like this.
  6. WB2WIK

I love L.A. and also like puppies.

Anyplace that limits the number of puppies you can have is very bad.

7. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I altogether, I have an estimated 5 offspring, but none are puppies.

8. WB2WIK

The whole covenant/HOA thing is 'not the America I used to know.'

Reminds me of the famous line from The Sound of Music, when Col. Von Trapp is drafted to the German Navy...'it's not the Austria I used to know...'

9. W5WN

W5WN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Who, exactly are you speaking of? I remember making a statement about being "brainwashed" (taken out of context), but never, ever accused anyone of being "stupid". Nobody else in this entire thread mentioned the word "brainwashed".

You are spreading disingenuous propaganda. Difinitely under the category of "trolling".

I personally take offense to your comment. Don't use me as a tool for your misrepresentations.

10. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you.