We lost a co-sponsor on ARPA

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KU0O, Dec 22, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I hadn't considered that, and I apologize. Yes, really.

2. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Edit window expired,
    but I should add that the Springdale residential block mandatory
    lighting was during specific dates coinciding with the holiday season.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd love to think so, and it used to be that way.

Not so much anymore. Choices for those seeking a quick move due to a job relocation or whatever are often forced into an area they don't know a lot about and for family reasons just have to plant a stake somewhere; more and more, that stake will land in an HOA common interest development, because that is literally "all" that is being built in many areas -- unless you have a lot of money and can afford a custom home, or have time to wait until what you really want is available for sale when someone decides to move out of a covenant-free zone.

Times have changed, and some changes just aren't for the better.:(

N2EY likes this.
  4. W9JEF

But is accepting a new job not a choice?
    Does one not weigh the pros and cons,
    then decide, based on one's priorities?
    IOW, how important is having a large
    antenna compared to the other issues?

5. WB2WIK

It's not an antenna issue for 99+% of home buyers; it's other issues.

All "restrictions" are worrisome. Some HOAs haven't many; some have hundreds.

Accepting a new job might be a choice, but might be a necessity when people are living nearly paycheck to paycheck and don't have enough savings to spend six months looking for another job. Very common problem today.

In my own area (which is very LARGE -- L.A. City alone is 503 square miles; the L.A. "metro area" which encompasses most of the population is 4,850 square miles -- it's four times the size of Rhode Island), someone moving into the area has three choices if they want a private, detached residence:

1. Buy a custom home with no restrictions: Be prepared to spend at least $2 million and have about $400K down.

2. Buy a home in a development without restrictions/covenants/HOA: On any given day, not many for sale. Be prepared to spend at least $500K for anything, have >$100K down; and it may be an "older" home built before 1975. I don't mind that at all, but many "shoppers" are looking for something newer.

3. Buy a home in a development with restrictions/covenants/HOA: Many available, starting around $300K-$350K, and many are new. Bingo, easy buy-in. People can jump on them, and then find out about what they're restricted from doing later -- which is very, very common. Nobody (sellers and realtors) goes out of their way to disclose the restrictions; you really have to perform your own due diligence, or perhaps hire a real estate attorney to represent you and to it for you. More time spent, more money spent.

All the new "development" housing have HOAs and restrictions. ALL of them. The only way to achieve a "newer" home without this is to have much more money to spend, and a lot of folks just don't have it.

6. WB2KSP

WB2KSP Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course not. I was thinking the same thing. Take that new job offer or live in the street, unemployed and broke. What to do, what to do. I just can't decide. Or this scenario; Take the job transfer or quit and tell the family we are going on public assistance. Gee, what opportunities there are in the land of the free and home of the brave. Hey, not everyone has to earn a living and feed their families. Look at Ted Kazonski. He wanted to live in the woods and he did by golly!Today it's no antennas or cars in the driveway and tomorrow it's no blacks or Jews. Wait, the federal government has already ruled that to be illegal, so I guess they can get involved with those sacred private contracts.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    KE6KA and N2EY like this.
  7. W9JEF

Well, isn't it ultimately, a marketing thing? If for 99+% of home buyers; it's other issues, then
    won't some enterprising realtor come out with an HOA with fewer objectionable restrictions?

8. WB2WIK

Problem, Jim, is this has nothing to do with realtors.

It has to do with "developers," who file the CC&Rs with the County even before they start building. Realtors have no control over this. The way to "revise" CC&Rs is drafted right into the CC&Rs, much like the way to amend our Constitution is drafted right into the Constitution.

And it can be somewhere between very difficult and impossible.

Another issue is HOAs are generally formed by the developer, who "is" the HOA during construction until some number of homes are sold; then he turns it over to the homeowners, who elect a Board of Directors. Sounds great so far. The HOA can write their own additional restrictions that go above and beyond the filed land use restrictions (CC&Rs), and in many cases (most I've seen, actually) the HOA can revise their restrictions any time they wish, sometimes without a vote of the membership. They have the authority to simply do it.

As such, you can read and research every single thing there is to know about HOA restrictions before you buy -- and then watch them change, after you buy.

This is something Jim W5WN has been discussing, which occurred in an HOA where he owns property.

N2EY likes this.
  9. W9JEF

Choices: take the job, move, and accept the HOA that comes with the territory.
    Will you die if you do't get to install a 70 foot tower with stacked tri-banders?

The ingenuity of many a ham has been proven by being able to get out
    using a flagpole, or even a wire strategically placed out of sight.

Realistically, IMHO, the most we can hope for if ARPA passes is inconspicuous outdoor radiators of RF.

10. WB2WIK

Perhaps.

That's what many thought about PRB-1 when it became law 30 years ago. It only requires "reasonable accommodation."

Now, 30 years later, more than half the states have codified it and thousands upon thousands of municipal zoning ordinances have been re-written to allow quite substantial amateur radio antenna "accommodation." Some, only after being sued by homeowners. Some, willingly. It varies all over the place.

But over a period of 30 years, "reasonable accommodation" has kicked butt in a whole lot of places.