Ways to fix the "FRAUD" found here on the Ham items for sale

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KG5RPZ, May 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the suggestion. Based on an earlier suggestion ( AJ4GQ ) I tried connecting my cell phone to my satellite-based internet wireless router. Connected fine, but my phone would not use the wifi for text or voice ( even in airplane mode ). Works fine on my daughter's phone but not on mine. Internet search revealed that my smartphone can't do texting by wifi without a third party app. So rather than buy a new phone or install another app, we installed a cell phone booster ( $550 ) and we now have a reliable 4G signal at home. Was -120 db with once-in-a-while service for a few seconds at a time. Now -90 db with little variation in signal strength or connectivity. So hopefully that problem is resolved. Fortunately my son is here for the weekend and was able to help me with this project as I am not able to climb on a ladder.

2. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

SO who ya' gonna blame when the scammers figure out how to get around this "Verified" thing? And we all know they will. QRZ will get the blame then. That's what will happen.

Look, there are scammers....always will be. If your scared, go to the hamfest and buy face to face. There are scammers there too.... You have to protect yourself. NOBODY is going to protect you. If you get scammed, nobody to blame but you.

And that getting "Verified" thing is frustrating. Even the wizzard is missing a couple of steps, creating even more difficulty. There is a whole thread about it. Ant the Two Step procedure isn't for the device, it's for the Browser. Change browsers and you have to set it all up again. It wasn't thought through very well.....

See how I did that? Managed to whine about it here too.

KA2FIR likes this.
  3. KA9MOT

2FA worked fine on Chrome on my desktop. Fought me on Firefox. Why browser specific and not device specific Dave? That sux

And then I tried to use my LoTW Cert...and steps are missing from the Wizzard (Instructions). After wasting an hour I became frustrated... not I am pissed off about it. Why? Because some people want to buy fake magic beans? SO I must prove I am the holder of real magic beans? Is it my fault people are stupid?
    If they haven't the sense to make sure the person they are sending their money to is real, don't they deserve to lose their money...maybe learn a lesson? And why must their gullibility affect everybody who sells on QRZ?

And now KG5RPZ is demanding all seller AND BUYERS be Verified?

If it weren't for stupid people, there would be no scammers.

I'll not be sending copies of my picture ID..... to do so is complete ignorance. QRZ won't do anything bad with them, but what happens when QRZ get's hacked? ID theft is a billion dollar industry these days. Keep your ID in your pocket.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    KA2FIR likes this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

You sum it up well.

5. KA9MOT

This!!!! Except they don't do the postcard thing anymore..... at least not for me. Just install the software and they'll email the certificate.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  6. KA9MOT

It'll make the ID Thieves happy too! Don't give anybody a copy of your ID. Show it if you need to, but no copies...... the internet has no boundary that can't be broken. Be smart.

KA2FIR likes this.
  7. N7TIN

N7TIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just read that 2-factor authentication is available for QRZ and immediately enabled it for my account. To those responsible for allowing this option: Good Job!

For those unfamiliar with the terms, an authentication "factor" is either something you know (e.g a password) ; something you have (e.g. your smartphone or a smartcard) or something you are (e.g. an iris scan or a fingerprint). Requiring two identity factors makes the impostor's job much harder. The 2-factor system here uses one authentication factor from the know identity domain (your password to the site) and one factor from the have identity domain (your cellphone or an alternate "authenticator" plug in to your web browser). Requiring authentication factors from two identity domains as was done here is a best practice because its very difficult for the impostor to obtain both identity factors.

Online crime is a business and in business the laws of economics apply equally to lawbreakers. Put into economic terms, the impostor workload required to obtain both factors is so great that they won't be able to make enough money from compromising your account to make the effort to obtain the two factors worthwhile.

KG5RPZ likes this.