ad: wmr-1

Ways to fix the "FRAUD" found here on the Ham items for sale

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KG5RPZ, May 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG5RPZ

KG5RPZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure there are many ways to accomplish this, and I am sure the admin's at QRZ have thought about this topic among themselves.

However what if we were to require a copy of your FCC issued License and a 2-step verification system where a randomly generated number gets sent as a text to a phone number that the seller has to fulfil before their For Sale item gets listed.

I hate that it comes to something like this, and adds the burden to the Honest folks wanting to sell their wares on this platform, but I feel something must be done because up to this point you don't know if your going to get scammed, ripped off etc, with almost any transaction here.

As I said earlier, there may be many other ways to limit the chance of being scammed here, and I'm all ears as should the Admins of QRZ be to eliminate this as much as possible. Most times we aren't talking about a $20.00 -$30.00 loss here. As we all know Ham Radio gear can cost hundreds, and even thousands of dollars and I feel if QRZ wants to continue to offer this service to the Good Ham Radio Operators they have an obligation to us as members to do everything they can to ensure the transactions made here are legit.

Just my 2 cents for the day.... I'm open to other options and Admins You should take notice, QRZ is a valued website, and we are all members here because we see the value of the site. Please help protect your members. download.jpg

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems many (most?) of the scammers are responding to WTB ads via the back door. How do we stop that?

KB4QAA and K3XR like this.
  3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Most (not all) of the hams who have been scammed here have been their own worst enemy. Educate yourself. If it smells fishy, walk away. You can never create a perfect system for users who will not use common sense. You just put an undue burden on everybody else.

QRZ has been taking steps to curb the fraud. If they think of something else that they can incorporate, they will do so. Do you think that if we do not suggest something, they would have been incapable of considering it on their own?

WB5THT likes this.
  4. KG5RPZ

Good Point, I have been a member of QRZ for a while, so I don't really remember the process of getting access to the member account. They could require all members to show they are licensed Hams with their FCC Tickets, or their license from the country that issued it to them.

5. KG5RPZ

Blame the Victim? Yeah that's way easier than fixing a problem, there is always a way for a criminal to do criminal stuff, but this is the equivalent to taking the locks off your house because if we get robbed its probably our own fault.

I didn't realize that the staff of QRZ was infallible and would not like a civilized conversation about fixing a known issue.

Don't speak for QRZ, and don't mince my words and try to twist what I said into something I did not.

6. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi there,
    I just noticed this thread and want to share some good news. If you click on "My Account" you will see that you can enable 2 Factor Authentication. This safeguards your personal account from being used by anyone who does not have access to both your QRZ password and your cell phone (presumably this means that you are the only person who will have access).
    Next, you will see that when 2 Factor Authentication is enabled, you can become "Identity Verified" as well. To complete that process you will need to either upload your LOTW certificate for cross reference, or send your government issued ID to us here at QRZ Headquarters via the ID Verification process, which you can also access by going to "My Account."
    When you go to the Swapmeet forum you will see that there is a "verified" symbol next to the callsign of anyone who has completed the process. The more people who complete the process, the more popular it will become. We are spreading the word about the program so that eventually we can require that anyone who uses the Swapmeet become "ID Verified."
    We really appreciate your use of the site and we are hoping that the steps that we are taking will make everyone in the community safer.
    Jaime Jeffries, KF7WIS
    CEO, QRZ.com

WB5THT, KJ4VTH, KG5RPZ and 2 others like this.
  7. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes!

Most of the frauds are initiated and conducted via email outside the QRZed system. There never was any QRZed involvement and the fraudsters use emails with faked callsigns. Using the Zed PM system and conducting the transaction in the forum gives a much higher level of security!

Additionally, more than a few of the deals are offered at "Too good to be true" prices. Greed blinds many to the red flags that indicate a scammer.

KA2FIR likes this.
  8. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You cannot force people to be smart or sensible. But you can encourage them to take precautions, and explain why they need to do so.

I am reminded of the way a bureaucracy tends to solve problems like this, namely by preventing anyone from doing anything. The agency I used to work for had a problem with maybe 1% of the staff claiming travel expenses that were not legitimate. The solution was to make it almost impossible to get travel authorizations, punishing those who needed to travel to get the job done. A better solution would be to punish the guilty, not punish everyone.

That said, over the past five years I have purchased 41 pieces of working vintage gear in near-mint condition, amplifiers, receivers, transmitters, etc., and only one was a lemon ( arrived with several broken vacuum tubes presumably damaged during shipping ) ( i.e., due to improper/poor packing ). None of the other transactions were problematic.

Of course I don't buy from anyone without first checking them out. This new two-factor authentication seems a good move. Even then, there is no guarantee that someone who proves to be who he says he is might not see things/interpret things the same way you do.

KJ4VTH likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

I would love to do the Two Factor Verification but everything I saw required downloading a Google app to a cellphone. Where do I "choose" a method on this page?
    choose.jpg

10. KG5RPZ

Thanks my friend... This is exactly what I was talking about, I did not realize they had implemented it however.