Ways for a 'no-antennas' ham to play radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7TCT, May 1, 2021 at 6:48 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you also hear that shortwave listening is dead because there’s nothing but religious broadcasters now?

K0UO and KK4NSF like this.
  2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I DID hear that one! And for the life of me I can't figure out who all those other broadcasters in my log book are. They don't sound very religious to me. :D

(By the way: Channel 292 from Germany has been coming in really strong the last few days....)

WW2PT likes this.
  3. DO1JML

DO1JML Ham Member QRZ Page

And, on the other side of the flat, I use a similar antenna to contact the repeaters on mountains 60-70km away, with a 5W Baofeng. Hint, hint...

0DC5F834-7424-49F5-AE43-C7F73B1EE99E.jpeg

I can even hit a repeater in the next country, but then I need more than 5W.

KK4NSF, W7UUU and KA4DPO like this.
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The old saying that almost anything that is conductive will work as an antenna. As a novice, my transmitter was a Johnson Adventurer, I loved that radio. Even after being subjected to the kind of abuse only a dumb novice could dish out, it still worked fine. So one day, I and a friend got a 4 X 4 foot piece of plywood, and a folding aluminum chair.

We set the chair on the plywood, and using a 11 foot length of wire for a counterpoise, I was able to load the plate to almost 100 ma, good enough for novice work. The 807 never broke a sweat.:) What amazes me even more now days, is that I never destroyed it with all of the dumb mistakes I made.:D

WA9SVD and KK4NSF like this.
  5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Now imagine growing up in Iowa. Makes your brain hurt, huh? ;) :D

AD5HR likes this.
  6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I certainly agree, that (almost) anything can be made to work. I remember years ago, I used a 10' length of wire in a window from an apartment in Long Beach CA and worked St. George, Utah. And that was with TEN watts. (Of course, it WAS a 6 Meter opening, where even wet spaghetti seems to work:rolleyes: (Although, I prefer linguini as it provides a slightly wider bandwidth!:p)

KA4DPO and KK4NSF like this.
  7. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I don't know. Some of those old aluminum lawn chairs were pretty tough! :)

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

My best DX on 6 meters was Louisiana from Minnesota in the late 70s, using my Heathkit Sixer and a dipole antenna on the porch, about 8 feet above the ground. I was feeding it with audio cable rather than coax. I had it set up there to talk to a friend in the neighborhood, IIRC. But I heard this guy calling CQ, so I came back to him, and I was absolutely shocked when he came back to me.

I sent him a QSL, but never got a reply.

9. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes it coincides so much that there is good propagation and good correspondent antennas ... But it still means nothing. If you want to know how your antenna works, just do a couple hundred QSOs in the next contest and see who answered you and how many time it takes. I always do this when comparing antennas. For a couple of years, good statistics and understanding have been collected ...

One thing I know for sure - if on one side there is a shitty antenna, and on the other - yagi, then there will be a QSO. If there are shitty antennas on both sides, then there will be no QSO ...

WW2PT likes this.
  10. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

but the discussion is about ways folks in highly restricted "no antenna" situations can still enjoy radio. In such cases, yagis are not an option.

KA4DPO likes this.