Ways for a 'no-antennas' ham to play radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7TCT, May 1, 2021 at 6:48 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

except of course that many stealthy antennas are not dummy loads.... unless operated by dummies. ( OR designated as such by folks who really don't know how to use them.) Many of them can be viable alternatives if no other option is available, as referenced by quite a few folks above.

But hey... if you feel you can't function as a ham without a lot of land and only your own preferred antennas, that's ok by me.

WW2PT and K3MZM like this.
  2. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Part of the reason I don't do much on 6m from home is that most of what I hear are bigger guns working interesting stations that I can't hear.

I do enjoy figuring out how to maximize my fun given my real-world constraints.

One of the interesting things about ham radio is that it encompasses a wide range of interests. In my case, sticking to 100 watts and wires in trees is about the limit of my masochism. When contemplating a move to someplace where antennas are severely constrained (or would breach contracts)...the challenges of remote operating are more to my tastes.

Others' preferences will vary...and that's OK. :)

KK4NSF likes this.
  3. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I see it somewhere between non-alcoholic beer and latex sex dolls. So, you are right

KC2SIZ and AD5HR like this.
  4. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

When we retired back in 2011 and began looking for a home in S. Texas, We looked at one new development which seemed to fit our needs. I asked to see a copy of the HOA. It said “No antennas of ANY kind. I assume they could enforce that for a transmit antennas inside if they wanted to. That’s pretty restrictive. Needless to say, we moved on.

Tom WA4ILH

KK4NSF likes this.
  5. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

You forgot 2-wheel drive Jeeps?

US7IGN likes this.
  6. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am afraid to develop this topic. Rear wheel drive men next?

WZ7U and AD5HR like this.
  7. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not going there.
    Grew up in Nebraska, seen enough Cornfields! <grin>

WZ7U likes this.
  8. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I offered details about the DX I’ve worked with low power, a 24’ end-fed wire, and minimal effort...but never mind all that. My antenna is a dummy load that doesn’t work because something something. Lol. Some people...

N4BC and KK4NSF like this.
  9. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

:DIsn't it amazing how well some antennas work in spite of what the nay-sayers say?

N4BC and WW2PT like this.
  10. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I actually knew a guy who was tuning up into a dummy load and a neighbor a few blocks away called him and the had a QSO. True story.
    Tom WA4ILH

K8XG, KK4NSF and WW2PT like this.