Ways for a 'no-antennas' ham to play radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7TCT, May 1, 2021 at 6:48 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

My answer was higher - take the radio and go out of town.
    I don't understand what the pleasure of listening to noise is.

W2AI and W7UUU like this.
  2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe "stealth antennas" have been offered in responses to this OP. Stealth antennas include indoor antennas...yes Yagis have been installed indoors...therefore they are an option if you have the indoor space to install one. Granted not everyone has the space for an HF Yagi...however VHF, UHF, and 6M Yagis have been installed as stealth antennas in attics, garage overhead structure, and even utility sheds.

Of course installing an antenna indoors can effectively muffle the antenna, if bulding materials are acceptable and gain is utilized you still have a somewhat acceptable antenna.

K8XG and KK4NSF like this.
  3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

well.... I'd have to agree with you on that one. :D

4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's unfortunate that every time someone wants to start that discussion -- which is a completely valid and useful technical subject -- the thread invariably diverges into a series of opinion posts about how any antenna that isn't a tower-mounted yagi is somehow "poor" or "useless" or "sub-par" or any number of even more profane swipes at people who are (often very successfully) trying to explore how to do more with less.

KK4NSF likes this.
  5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

unfortunately you are right. We saw the same thing here on this thread earlier. One guy called all such antennas "dummy loads" and then got a bit snippy when I stood my ground on the matter. I guess some people just can't help being condscending.... but that's ok. I just put him on ignore for the rest of the day, and all is now right with the world. :D

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe so... I don't understand why people get offended when other people try to make the most of the situation they have. I can remember when that was considered a virtue in society. :)

Making and testing limited-space, "stealthy," and/or indoor antennas is something I really enjoy. I don't need to use such antennas, but they are a lot of fun. It's quite rewarding to get signal reports that rival much larger antennas. Even with all my miniature antennas, I still can't manage to keep an amplifier on my desk... I buy it and then realize that even the tiny antennas don't need an amplifier to be heard well, so I sell it. :cool:

Maybe I just remember when I was an apartment dweller, and that makes me want to chase all the antenna ideas that I didn't have the patience to chase back then. :D

WZ7U, KK4NSF and WN1MB like this.
  7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

When I lived in a 2nd floor apartment I had a lot more time for homebrewing. I built a 142MHz to 432MHz transverter. Normally spurious signals are a problem in going from 2M to 70 cm, but I built a 2MHz wide interdigital filter to remove the unwanted signals. It also has a 0.2 dB NF cavity preamp--back then I also built preamps for NF contests and this one was the spare.

Zak W1VT

US7IGN likes this.
  8. US7IGN

I think the majority are not offended, but simply this stage has passed a long time ago and they are not interested in it. Moreover, there is always a choice, but many refuse to see it ...

KK4NSF likes this.
  9. US7IGN

I think the majority are not offended, but simply this stage has passed a long time ago and they are not interested in it. Moreover, there is always a choice, but many refuse to see it ...

10. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This thread makes an interesting study of psychology. How posters here can because overly sensitive over something that can neither pay the bills NOR
    puts food on the table.

WD0BCT and WN1MB like this.