ad: AbAuRe-1

Wayne B. Dunham, NC4B

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W2JKT, Aug 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I wanted to take a minute to remember and honor the memory of Mr. Wayne B. Dunham, NC4B, who passed away in May after a battle with Leukemia. Mr. Dunham was a graduate of Clemson University in EE, a devoted Clemson football fan, and a long-time supporter of the school, and generally everyone around him. In addition to Amateur Radio, he enjoyed guitars, photography, and spending time with his family. I never met him, but in spending some time speaking with his widow, it was very clear he was a great guy with a huge heart for helping others.

After he passed, his widow, Jean, contacted the Clemson University club (of which I am the trustee) and offered his shack to us with the hope and understanding that the equipment would be used to benefit the Clemson student body and the surrounding community. She sent us a photo of his desk, and on it were a TS-990, a TS-2000, an amplifier, and a couple of HTs. We were pretty shocked at the magnitude of this gift, but at that point we had no idea what we were getting into.

I drove up to Charlotte with an alumnus / club member to retrieve the equipment, taking my full sized SUV, knowing how hams can be about having drawers of stuff. He had kept all of the original boxes for the radios and amps, so despite there just being a couple of them, the boxes were large and we would have to plan. With all the seats down, an Armada can hold a lot of stuff, though, so we thought.

As we were disconnecting everything on the desk and boxing things up, it came. "Oh, there is also this closet over here, oh and that stack of radios over there..." and it went on... and on. There were nearly two dozen more HF radios, boxes of mobiles and HTs, bags and bags of QRP equipment, satellite fixtures, electronic kits, test equipment, and on and on and on. It was completely overwhelming, and Jean was just giving it all to us. We did not know what to say. "Sorry guys, I should have send you more pictures."

I would have to return to Charlotte to retrieve what we could not fit in the SUV the first time, and in the end we packed it floor to ceiling twice, and had to leave some things behind (like filing cabinets and tool chests and the like). The end result is that we now have more equipment than we could ever put into service for the Clemson club, but we also don't have the space to store it all.

So, in keeping with his wishes that the equipment he gave us goes on to benefit community, we are in the process of contacting our local schools and offering to set up ham radio stations so they can start some school clubs. I pray that we will be able to be effective stewards of what we have been given, and use these gifts in a way that honors Mr. Dunham's wishes and benefits our communities.

Thanks for reading

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/charlotte/obituary.aspx?n=wayne-dunham&pid=192986691&fhid=31332

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Wayne B. Dunham, NC4B SK

Wayne Brian Dunham, 65, a resident of Charlotte, North Carolina [formerly of Poughkeepsie, New York] passed away peacefully at home on May 19, 2019 with family present after a courageous battle with A.L.L. [Leukemia]

Wayne was born on October 17, 1953 in Poughkeepsie, New York to parents Roy E. Dunham and Helen M. Lester also of Poughkeepsie, New York. Both parents predeceased Wayne.

He was a 1971 graduate of Arlington High School, Freedom Plains, NY. In 1976 Wayne earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina.

On July 10, 2007, Wayne married his soul mate, Jean DeBord, of Chattanooga, Tennessee in Las Vegas, Nevada. Jean is the daughter of Neil B. DeBord and Doris Mae also of Chattanooga, Tennessee. In addition to his wife, Jean, Wayne is survived by three daughters: Carrie Mayeux and her husband Landry of Olympia, Washington; Laura Dunham of Charlotte, North Carolina; Audrey Gold and her husband Kienan of Huntersville, North Carolina; a step-son Rob Livingston and his wife Mandy of Chattanooga, Tennessee; a brother Roy C. Dunham and his wife Barbara of Venice, Florida and a sister Cheryl D. Venuto and her husband Ed of Hyde Park, New York. He is survived also by a grandson, Jameson Gold of Huntersville, North Carolina and four step grandchildren, Jake Livingston; Noah Livingston; Austin Jones and Kaylie Jones of Chattanooga, Tennessee along with several nieces, nephews and cousins.

In September 1976, after graduating from Clemson, Wayne went to work for Westinghouse at their South Boston, Virginia location. In 1980 he moved with Westinghouse to join them at their Indianapolis, Indiana location - residing in Carmel, Indiana. Wayne left Westinghouse in April 1989 to join Mitsubishi Electric Power Products Inc.[MEPPI] in Charlotte, North Carolina. Wayne retired from Mitsubishi Electric Power Products in October 2018 as South East Regional Vice President. MEPPI is headquartered in Warrendale, PA.

Wayne was a very smart and talented man with diverse interests.

He was a huge short-wave radio enthusiast. An interest which began in his younger years with a cousin and which only grew stronger into his adult years. He enjoyed speaking with people all around the world and was a Lifetime Member of the ARRL (American Radio Relay League)

Wayne had a lifetime passion for folk and electric guitars and was self-taught. As with everything Wayne owned, his guitars were no different. They were well cared for; keeping humidity controls on his folk guitars and repairing frets or any other part that needed attention. His substantial guitar collection hangs on the wall of his office at home and includes an electric guitar he recently built from a kit.

Wayne's other interests included performing magic - loving to see the surprised faces asking, "how did he do that", photography, candy making and stained glass work which included assorted window ornaments and a tiffany lampshade.

As an avid Clemson football fan, Wayne always wore his "lucky" Clemson jersey for each game…quickly getting it off, on the rare chance, they lost. He also rooted for the local Carolina Panthers.

Wayne was a proud lifetime member of the NRA and loved going to the shooting range for target practice.

Wayne and Jean had their own patio herb and tomato garden and incorporated their harvest into their meals. Wayne and Jean thoroughly enjoyed working in the kitchen together.

Even though Wayne traveled often on business, he and Jean enjoyed travelling. They were able to spend time in such locations as Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Outer Banks, Grand Canyon, Charleston and Hilton Head Island and whitewater rafting in Tennessee - to name just a few.

Wayne had a huge caring heart and an incredible positive upbeat soul. From the beginning of his Leukemia diagnosis he was determined to conquer the disease and move on with his life. He was known to say many times that "he was a survivor" and "I'm the son of a Marine - I'll get through this". He had a smile so big and a laugh so hearty - you couldn't help but be happy when you were around Wayne. He emitted positive energy to all those he encountered…. always with a "Hey there, how are doing?" A life cut short too soon. Wayne will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

There will be no viewing hours. Arrangements are being handled by the Tribute Cremation Society in Charlotte, North Carolina (http://m.tributecremationsociety.com/)

A memorial service celebrating Wayne's life will be scheduled at a later time at the convenience of the family.
    Published in the Poughkeepsie Journal from May 25 to May 26, 2019
    https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/p...n=wayne-brian-dunham&pid=192974099&fhid=31332

W2JKT likes this.
  3. KX1W

KX1W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QCWA #35806

4. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't know this gentleman, but he left a wonderful legacy....god bless him...