ad: elecraft

wAVEgUIDES pODcAST - New kid on the block

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE2XPL, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K8ZBQ

K8ZBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You'd make a fine Elmer, NOT!

2. K4GHL

K4GHL Ham Member QRZ Page

Very intelligent response

At least my comments had some bearing on the subject at hand, while your comment is like a politician's response, clear and concise, it has no bearing to the original point.

I used to design websites back in the days before WYSIWYG by typing the code in by hand, hunting through pages of text to find that elusive typo. What I learned was I really didnt care for site designing, but I know what works, what looks good, and what doesn't.

As I mentioned in my very first post, its my opinion. I can care less what anyone else thinks of it, I just stated my thoughts on the subject. As I also mentioned, best of luck to the site owners and I hope they have a very prosperous venture, but I dont personally care for it.

I will say that I was wrong on one of my previous posts about the content of the site, and they are correct in their attempt to lure the younger generation into a VERY grey haired hobby. Technology today has 8 year olds with cell phones glued to their ears and thumbs, and when the powers out, or they are in a no service area for an extended period of time, they are lost. Growing up I remember my folks telling me to shut off the TV and go outside, and we did. Games of pickle or front yard football were the norm, not the exception. In Boy Scouts we looked forward to the camping trips so we could master our survival skills. In this day of computers and phones, I am willing to bet there aren't many kids who can build a game trap with a length of bailing twine, let alone know what that is.

With the dropping of the code requirement, its made it easier for the young ones to get into the hobby, but how many amateur radio groups are actively pushing it through community groups and churches and schools? Look around at the photos online of the clubs and from what I have seen, most of the folks in the pictures are 40 and up.

Rather than simply posting what someone would NOT be good at doing, offer something constructive to the thread. Unless of course you dont have anything better to do with your time.

Gary
    K4GHL
    What have YOU done to expand Amateur Radio today?

3. KG4KWV

KG4KWV Banned QRZ Page

Folks be nice to the Waveguides Poster ok, after all it's Christmas time, you know good will towards men and women.

Merry Christmas

4. VE2XPL

VE2XPL Ham Member QRZ Page

enjoy the debate...

Hello again ...

Actually, I enjoy the debate. I respect everybody's opinion (whether I agree with it or not). Because of this debate, many ideas for improvement have come about...some have already been implemented.

I am not sure who this comment was aimed at:
    ''Rather than simply posting what someone would NOT be good at doing, offer something constructive to the thread. Unless of course you dont have anything better to do with your time.''
    probably a response to
    Quote: Originally Posted by AC8EO [​IMG]''You'd make a fine Elmer, NOT!''

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by AC8EO [​IMG]
    You'd make a fine Elmer, NOT!
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I do not think I have made any negative comments so far.

I agree that we are surrounded by grey-haired hams for the most part (or, in my case, no hair...LOL) Introducing the hobby via podcast will hopefully interest the newer generation.

''but I know what works, what looks good, and what doesn't''
    Always a matter of personal taste.

What have YOU done to expand Amateur Radio today? A GREAT question that we all need to ask ourselves.

keep those ideas coming!

Pete
    VE2XPL
    Executive producer & Host, wAVEgUIDES pODcAST

5. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean they quit? Jeez....and here I was setting around waiting for the new version :eek:

6. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

(insert stuffy English accent here..^):p

7. K8ZBQ

You would STILL make a fine Elmer.

All you did was slam the guys site. Then you gotta go and blow your horn.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  8. K8ZBQ

Comment aimed at k4ghl.

9. KD4KOC

KD4KOC Ham Member QRZ Page

dItTo. wHy Do PeOplE wHo TyPe LiKe ThIs ThInK iTs KoOl DoOoOod.

10. K4GHL

Is it buttal or rebuttal or rerebuttal... /ponder

"All you did was slam the guys site. Then you gotta go and blow your horn." No... I expressed my US Constitutional right to express my opinion...

As for VE2XPL "I do not think I have made any negative comments so far." you are correct, AC8EO is the one it was aimed at since they are pretty much the only one who seems to have nothing constructive to say with the exception of "You would STILL make a fine Elmer." ... /ponder and scratch head, shrug

I'm glad you are willing, VE2XPL, to take the advice and consider it, good bad or otherwise, its your piece of the web and barring your host denying from posting something, you can do what you want how you want. If I had a issue with it being aimed towards me, I would deal with it in a different way.

KA9MOT, Yep sadly... NOMOREAOLCDS site went under short of collecting the million CD's they wanted to get and drop off at their front door... was fun to watch what folks did with them up to that point though.

There's no telling how many folks have seen this post from someone going "hey, yall aughta see the stuff going on over there on QRZ about this new site..." eh.. millions were made from on a polished ROCK back in the 70's (yeah I had one too) ... maybe his site will be the same...

Guess we didnt keep it up long enough, this thread has moved to number three... But, its still on the front page...

Again, best of luck kanuck :) and keep that dang cold weather up there with you where it belongs, would ya?? Thanks!!

G

11. K4GHL

ROFL... I dunno Top... I really dont.. its almost as aggravating as folks who type in all caps all the time... really hard to read... kinda like listening to a yankee talk... ya know? :)

12. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

At least "Yankees" speak English, rather than some odd drawled, slurred dialect resembling English ;)

13. VE2XPL

the medium

whats the difference (DoOoOod) between "Waveguides Podcast" and "wAVEgUIDES pODcAST"

in my opinion...established convention...that's it...

but in the end, it"s just a bunch of letters that advertise a brand...

"the medium is the message" - Marshall McLuhan

de VE2XPL

14. KD0FRG

KD0FRG Ham Member QRZ Page

I find the site very easy to read, dark background with white text, as far as spreading trojans around through websites.. some things like this are possible in certain situations but not that likely, especially if you use an active virus shield and a good browser such as firefox or chrome, i'd be more worried about DNS hijacking and XSS. Trojans and viruses are usually executable files. They would use java script on the client side to steal your cookies.

I dont think you can get a virus from just surfing around, unless the browser gets exploited from the website. It will execute shell code and get access to your system. IE is easily exploited for instance.

Google chrome has a sandbox to try and ward off these things, however i dont think it will stop cookies from being stolen. (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_hijacking)

Also make sure you change your routers default password to something more complex.

Ill be checkin out the pod casts and see if i can connect on echolink next thursday!

15. VE2XPL

Dark Backround...

Indeed, our team is looking for lighter backrounds for the site. We had not taken into consideration the fact that is's harder to read, especially on mobile devices. This week's show will feature KD8HQU, Michael from MI, who will be doing Ham radio Trivia. Hope to see you there.

Pete
    VE2 XPL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.