Waterproof or high abrasion labels

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by K9STH, Oct 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

For labels that need to be waterproof, or might get more than usual abrasion, I have found that using clear "Flex Seal" does a very good job.

I print the label on card-stock / Bristol board, cut it to size, and then put 2 or 3 coats of clear "Flex Seal" on the surface. Then, a coat on the back. The label is held in place using one of the spray adhesives.

Doing so puts a relatively thick, but clear, coating that can withstand water, abrasion, etc.

Glen, K9STH

KL7KN likes this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

That's an interesting use for Flex Seal. Used it within the last couple of years for some antenna work spraying the connections after using a good quality Scotch brand electrical tape. Often times products get much hype on TV ads which may or may not be justified will keep a check on it to see how it holds up.

KL7KN likes this.
  3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Flexseal is just the same rubberized undercoating you get at the autoparts store.

Ed

4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the tip!

I've always just used clear packing' the label.

5. AA3EE

AA3EE Ham Member QRZ Page

The P-Touch labels with "high strength" adhesive are awesome. I have my name and phone # on my whitewater kayak paddle. It's been there about 7 years now through all 4 seasons. I even hit a rock hard enough to gouge the fiberglass shaft right through the label, and it's still stuck good.

6. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

I use Marbig Quick Laminate, a self-adhesive lamination sheet; it's very tough.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Marbig-...960058&hash=item35fcf19ebb:g:dl4AAOSwwpZbd95N

The product may not be available outside Australia but I'm sure that there are other brands of self-adhesive laminate sheet.

The case label and the probe labels in the photo were done in this manner;

[​IMG]upload images to url

as was the label here;

[​IMG]

Whilst very tough, it is not waterproof as water/liquid can seep into the cut edges; for bench equipment that doesn't matter.

If tough and waterproof were required, I would use another lamination on the back and leave a narrow sealed edge where the front sheet adheres to the back sheet.

DK7OB and VE3TMT like this.
  7. K6DWI

K6DWI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always have used this company for my outdoor labeling needs, both inkjet and laser labels.
    onlinelabels.com

8. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

We use a special mylar labels and thermal printer for our product labels at work. Pretty durable, considering they are exposed to fuel and high temps. Usually have to scrape them off with a razor and use goo-gone to remove the adhesive.

9. WB0RIO

WB0RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

You could go old-school and buy a set of metal punches with letters and numbers.
    Or find someone with an NC mill and cut the labels into your panels.
    I usually use a P-Touch label machine for my project labels, if the label wears off, just print another.

The only complaint I have about the P-Touch machine is that it wastes a ton of expensive label stock
    at the end of the printout. That problem can be overcome by printing all of the labels at once, then pulling the power
    plug as soon as you see the last label come out. Cheap to the last drop.

10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Our oilfield instrumentation panels were engraved with a Hermes engraver, anodized, then a lady with a Rapidograph filled in the letters with India ink.