Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK4YWN, Dec 4, 2018.
Glad to help have fun with your project.
I can finally answer this:
I'm workin' on a Martini, with a pimento-stuffed olive.
I leave the olive 'til the end.
Finished up the lettering on the Drake RV-2 this morning. Recall this is the Heathkit VF-1 refinished to resemble the Drake '2' line. Name RV-2 from a suggestion from Steve, WB2WIK. Drake had in their line the RV-4 and RV-7. For now, the knobs are borrowed from a 2C until I can locate others.
While I was still working I remember the old retired guys coming in an saying that they have less time in the day to get all of the stuff done. I thought how silly, retired and less time?? Now that I'm retired I've turned into one of them. I'm working on everything and the pile is getting bigger.
That is very true, so many projects and not enough time. I can still remember at my retirement party a gal asking me what I was going to do with all my time...volunteer work etc.. Told her I did not think there would be a problem finding things to keep me occupied too many interests. I know there are folks who sit around watching Oprah (is she still on) and Judge Judy all day it's, of course, their business but in a way I feel very sorry for them.
Finished up this morning a Hallicrafters S-41-G a receiver from the '40s. The usual new caps, replace weak tubes etc.. All cabinet parts stripped bare, it's very difficult to find exact color paint unless you have it custom mixed. This finish is Krylon. RadioDaze.com does have a decal sheet for this and other receivers. Below, before and after.
Dan, VERY Nicely done.
Replaced the interconnect cable between the HT-45 and the power supply. Originally had vinyl sleeving and ring terminals that had to be installed on the terminal strip inside the power supply. This required removing, then reinstalling the entire PS cabinet. Not good when you swap out rigs on a fairly regular basis.
I made a stub with a 12 pin jones for the PS, replaced the vinyl sleeving with some braided covering, and put a mating 12 pin on that end. Now just "plug-n-play".
Click 4 more...
Also made a power cable for the new Hammarlund receiver.
I started building a perimeter monitor for a ranch property. The core is the W8BH clock, because I need a datalogger.
Bottom line: the Arduino UNO has just enough memory for the clock, and the sensor debounce array, but it can't write to the SD card because it runs out of RAM. So I skinned it down to just a GPS disciplined clock with one each UTC, Local Time and Status LCD display.
And I got an Arduino Mega, which will let me add the datalogger, and a sound card for the various gongs, whistles, sirens, horn and movie & TV sound clips that announce entries, incursions, et cetera. Today I get the clock running on the Mega, and start on the datalogger. when it works I will feed the audio to an FM transmitter, so people in various locations can adjust the sound level to their needs of the moment