Watcha workin on?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK4YWN, Dec 4, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of it is on by blog in one way or another and the rest will be added in due course. Pretty much though, everything ends up on my blog. Its not a how to help blog, its more or less just my diary of what i am doing, weather it works or not. Often, not.

2. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

Especially if it's male. :eek::eek::eek:

3. VE3KDO

VE3KDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Today I was working on a Marshall guitar amplifier and now I'm working on a beer.

AD5HR, K6LPM, WE4E and 1 other person like this.
  4. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve often screwed up working on beers and had to start from scratch trying to get it right.

KP4SX and VE3KDO like this.
  5. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a fixin' to go to the store to get some fixins fer cornbread and chili beans.

6. N9AXL

N9AXL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I'm working on a McMurdo-Silver VTVM. This is recapped and working. Just need to replace some tubes and solder the batteries in place.

Also a Gonset G66B receiver -- it powers up but just static. Probably because I don't yet have the motorola adapter to I can add an antenna.

After that I plan to move on to an RME-69 for the rest of the winter. I have one complete. The other is complete except for the S-meter. So that is either a second restoration or a parts donor for the first depending on condition. If anyone has the matching speaker or the preselector for this I'd be interested. After that I'm thinking about finding a 1930s transmitter to match with this -- although I will probably have to build one since there are very few commercial transmitters in that era.

7. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Received my PCBs from JLCPCB yesterday and the order from PCBWay is sue today. I'll build some of the up this weekend. All SMD so I'll be giving my eyes a good workout.

8. K6LPM

K6LPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

20181125_165059.jpg 20181125_165059.jpg A vintage '63 Fender Deluxe Reverb guitar amplifier.

For RF related, I am rebuilding a homebrewed 3cx3000a7 amplifier built around and old Henry chassis with some extremely heavy duty iron for the power supply. 400watts in gets about 6000watts out. Plenty of headroom with 100watts input.

Attached Files:

WZ7U and K3XR like this.
  9. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

The Doorbell From Hell. progress is slow for reasons explained below

Arduino, GPS, Real Time Clock, SD card writer, Tsunami WAV Trigger, motion sensors, 433 MHz radio modules. programming done via a Raspberry Pi, just to stay in the spirit of things.

The GPS and SD card writer will log the time various sensors are triggered, and act as an NTP server

the motion sensors are set up as

• Zone 1: Driveway outer marker, 400 feet from the house. one very long bell / gong / whistle / et cetera
    • Zone 2 Driveway Inner Marker, 50 feet from the front door. two of the above, not very long
    • Zone 3 Curtilage through any of 3 gates that leads to a door. 3 of the above, including the NBC chimes
    • Zone 4: my neighbors curtilage. 4 ships bells, because he is former merchant marine
    • Zone 5: me coming out of the house armed shouting "you must be out of your mind" over the PA system, because some fool headed for the side of the house nobody but me should approach. obnoxious wake up the dead sounds; there is a cemetery next door, so we will see..
    • Zone 6: the DONONOMO doorbell, for people who don't know no mo' better than to ring the obvious doorbell button at mi casa. delivery people preachers, and people who want to check out the junkyard. odd but harmless sounds; elephants, barking dogs, fog horns.
    • Zone 7: the doorbell for people who know me well enough to look around and spot something out of place, a garden gnome; a Buddha statue, spot the button, and kick it. hundreds of possibilities; movie sounds, theme songs, fog horns

no "ding dong." no bird sounds, we live next to a bird sanctuary. no trains; 50 yards to the tracks. no gunshot sounds

worked on it for two years with zero results. then I discovered three things in one day:
    • My Arduino Mega is defective: no serial ports work
    • my Neo6 GPS modules are actually 3.3 V modules with an on board 5 volt regulator. they survive 5 VDC going to them; but they return 3.3 VDC, which is marginal for a 5 VDC module. a level converter solved that problem.
    • they don't work with the current generation of Arduino libraries. you have to use older libraries to get results.
    so I finally got the GPS to work. current project: get a display going, so I have an ongoing indication that the GPS & Arduino are functioning. then, buttons. then, SD card logging. Then the Tsunami, which has its own challenges

when the doorbell finally works, I want to add the ability to operate the PA over the 222 MHz band, with the combination of CTCSS & DTMF control to keep intruders off the PA.

next step as in by the time you read this: adding a GPS antenna in the workshop, so I can do everything from back there, then bring the finished project up front when it's ready for the real world.

PA is one more thing in this world that is not explained well, in one place, anywhere. simple enough when you have all the info, but you have to sift through twenty sites to get everything you need to know.

10. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks much. If the circuit I plan to build doesn't work, I'll build that one. At any rate, I'll keep this schematic on hand in case I need to build another BFO in the future.

K3XR likes this.